Daily Use of Metamucil or Stool Softeners for Colostomy Patients?

Replies
Views
Pharmgirl
Nov 26, 2023 9:31 pm

Does anyone take Metamucil daily or a stool softener? I've had a colostomy since 2015, never had a problem going, but now it's literally days before anything happens, and then it's all hell breaks loose. I'd like to be regular again. Oh, I eat healthy, drink plenty of water, and walk 2-3 miles a day, so there is no lack of that. Anyone know if that's something we can safely take daily?

Thank you!

Ostoberry
Nov 26, 2023 10:29 pm

They kept me on 100 mg of docusate sodium for a week after the hospital discharge. It's pretty mild and cheap in any drug store. I haven't had much problem for months, but I have taken one senna tablet (adult dose is 2). I think they are milder. Not sure how much they helped. Why don't you ask your health care provider first.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

patandwinnie55
Nov 27, 2023 12:11 am

Hi. I have had my ostomy for only 5 months. I had a traumatic injury, resulting in me losing 40% of my colon, hence the colostomy. I was in the hospital for a month, left the hospital on "MiraLAX" (polyethylene glycol 3350), and have been using it every day since. My understanding is that I am to continue using it until I have the ostomy reversed, maybe in spring 2024. I also have a healthy diet and get lots of exercise. I haven't had any obvious problems in the time I have been on it.

Bill
Nov 27, 2023 8:18 am

Hello Pharmgirl.
I have tried several things including dulcolax and dulcoease - The latter was better for me as it was less intense.
Senna sent me into an aphylactic state, so I have not used it since the first time.
Metamucil has been good for me because it not only helps with stool consistency but it mitigates my reflux, and it helps to shift the food that gets stuck in my oesophagus.

I hope this information is useful to you.(even though we are all likely to react in different ways to different things.  I find it's best to simply try stuff to see what works best.
Best wishes

Bill

DexieB
Nov 27, 2023 10:03 pm
Reply to patandwinnie55

I was also told by the provider to take Miralax as needed.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Jaemac
Dec 03, 2023 2:18 am

My colostomy was done two years ago and it's a complicated "Innie." So I have to take Restoralax every day. They say I can take as much as I need for as long as I need and there are no complications or "body addiction" of any kind. I'll take it 4-6 times a day until my reversal, hopefully mid-2024, crossing fingers. When you find the right dose for you, it can keep everything not too thick. Good luck.

harry113
Dec 03, 2023 2:27 am
Reply to Ostoberry

I take Metamucil 3 times per day for opposite reasons. I go by the directions on the package. 2 teaspoons in 8 oz of water mixed well and drink immediately after mixing. These instructions were given to me by the Mayo Clinic. Metamucil will help you to go or to slow you down. Amazing powder.

gmac81952
Dec 03, 2023 12:25 pm

I have a dose of Miralax (mostly generic brands) in my coffee every morning.

jetro98
Dec 03, 2023 8:39 pm

I take a dose of Miralax every day, plus I also take Senna (1 or 2 a day) if I start feeling irregular.