Medicinal Odor from Ileostomy Skin Barriers: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Shash
Nov 14, 2016 12:06 am

Hi all

For the last month+ I have noticed a very medicinal odor that occurs after wearing my flange for 1 day or so;  it actually causes my clothing in that area to pick up the odor as well.  It is not the result of output.... not sure why this is happening and/or what can be done about it.  I switched products (was using Convatec) as I thought maybe I had developed a strange chemical reaction with what I was using but the new company product (Hollister) causes the same problem.  I am planning on calling both Convatec and Hollister to see what they think.  Any thoughts from you all are appreciated!  I really don't want to have to change the flange/pouch every day as the cost will definitely add up!!!

NJ Bain
Nov 15, 2016 3:44 am

Shash,

I've never noticed a medicinal odor before, but once I started taking high doses of Omega-3 pills, I would notice a very strong metallic fishy smell that would permeate my clothing in that area as well.  I've found gummy Omega-3 pills that don't do that but they come in a much lower dose.

Has your diet changed or are you taking any suppliments that may have changed the flora in your system?  Just curious.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Shash
Nov 16, 2016 3:13 am

Hi Bain,

I started noticing this issue when I began using cortisone cream for psoriasis so I thought it was just the combination of the medicaiton with my skin (I was using it around the stoma area as well as a few other areas).  I found, however, even when not using the cream it would occur so not sure that was ever an issue at all...I do take Omega 3 Fish Oil but never noted that to be an issue but I will definitley investigate that a bit more.  I am now trying a Coloplast product and will say that this whole day I have noted no odor at all (of course I forgot to take the fish oil today so I'll see what tomorrow brings!)

Thanks for responding to my post

Shash

Shash
Nov 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Bain,

I do think it was the fish oil...I actually took fish oil with my new Coloplast product and  by the end of that day I had the odor!  Since I stopped the fish oil, no more problem.   The owner of my healthfood store is surprised to hear this and said this indicates that I was not processing the fish oil so we will look to see how we can remediate this.

Thanks very much for bringing this to my attention

NJ Bain
Nov 22, 2016 5:32 am

Shash,

My pleasure.  I've been taking a lower dose gummy version of the Omega-3 and I haven't noticed an odor.  Of course, I have a cold right now and I still might have some odor.  I try to take them with food now, preferably fruit to better eliminate any odor.

I'm guessing since I have an ileostomy, that I don't process the fish oil normally as one would with a large intestine.  It just makes for a big stink.  Like I said, I am taking lower doses but finding lots of foods that provide Omega-3 naturally such as fish and nuts.  It's just so much easier to take a suppliment in pill form.

I'll let you know when my cold is gone and if I notice any odor.  I think it's great that this has been noticed.

Bain

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play