Can I Get Chiropractic Care with a Hernia? Risks and Considerations

Replies
Views
Rodr24
May 26, 2024 2:37 pm

I'm eight weeks into my temporary colostomy, and about three weeks ago, maybe longer, a bulge appeared next to my stoma. Because it's in my nature to do such things, I pressed on it... there was a slight pop as something must have slid back inside and the bulge wasn't so pronounced. Hmm...

Over the following few days, I noticed that the bulge was there any time I checked and that pressing it back in was only a temporary adjustment. Then I started to wear a hernia belt 24/7 and it only pops back out when I shower now.

I diligently limit my lifting/carrying to 10 lbs or less now as my doctor recommended, and using the belt, it doesn't appear to be getting any worse. My stoma nurse says a hernia is a common occurrence with a colostomy and that they can do the corrective surgery when I get my reversal.

Here's my question...

Can I get chiropractic care with a hernia, and what are the primary risks?

w30bob
May 26, 2024 3:05 pm

Hi Rodr,

Chiropractors can adjust pregnant women using an adjusting table that has a drop-down center section to limit pressure on the baby while she's carrying. I use that table when I get adjusted to keep pressure off my stoma and my bag. But having a hernia is a much bigger deal. You really don't want any pressure applied from your back that would be pushing what's inside forward. You could ask your chiropractor how they feel about it, but I sure wouldn't risk it. Hernias never get better; they either stay the same or get worse. You're probably asking for trouble if your chiropractor does your adjustments with you lying down. They may still be able to do some adjusting with you standing up, but use common sense. If anything puts pressure on your internals, your hernia is the weak link and is basically a tear in your abdominal fabric. Stretching your spine, like with an inversion table, is fine, as are neck adjustments while lying down.

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gentlejohn
May 26, 2024 10:49 pm

No. There is nothing a chiropractor can do to repair a hernia.

A hernia belt is a reasonable alternative, but the best treatment is to close the defect in your abdominal wall. Having hernias carries risks that you need to be aware of, which include bowel obstruction and bowel strangulation.

Rodr24
May 27, 2024 12:52 am
Reply to gentlejohn

Sorry if I poorly worded my question. I know a chiropractor can't repair a hernia. My question was regarding the risks of getting a chiropractic adjustment for my back pain when I have a hernia.

AlexT
May 27, 2024 7:39 am

Don't think you got much to worry about, in my opinion.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
ostomychik
Jun 02, 2024 1:36 pm

I'd ask your surgeon. I am also about 8 weeks post-surgery with an orange-sized hernia. I asked my surgeon, and he said it was okay to see the chiropractor, but everyone is different. If your surgeon says to wait, you can always see if the chiropractor can treat you with an activator (adjusting tool) that doesn't require manual force.