Managing Pain After BB Surgery - Tips Beyond Narcotics?

Replies
Views
JustMeRLB
May 26, 2024 5:37 pm

Hello friends! It's been a while since I've been on! I'm doing well with Rosie, my ileostomy. I finished my doctorate and graduated on May 11. I also had my BB surgery on Friday, the 24th. What helped you all with the pain besides the narcotics? Ice? Heat?
Thanks!!!

Douglas john
May 26, 2024 5:47 pm

Red wine and a very soft cushion. 🍷

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Henry44
May 26, 2024 7:16 pm

Congratulations on getting your PhD!

How are you getting on after the operation?

gentlejohn
May 26, 2024 11:05 pm

Doctor, be careful using acronyms for those challenged in abbreviations. I had my ileostomy, Squirt, for 6 months before my KB surgery. I took no narcotics and only extended-release Tylenol. Close to surgery, I would take Tylenol when I got up in the morning and if needed later in the day. Take the medicine before you have severe pain. My surgery was done robotically, which makes a difference. The usually recommended management is to use a soft chair or a very thin cushion to sit on. It is NOT recommended to sit on a donut. Also, after showering, blotting and using a hair dryer can be helpful. Depending upon your closure, there can be complications that can give you increased pain a couple of weeks later and should be checked by your surgeon.

JustMeRLB
May 27, 2024 1:02 am
Reply to Henry44

Thanks! It's actually a DMA, Doctor of Musical Arts! :) I'm still having quite a bit of pain.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
AlexT
May 27, 2024 7:32 am

I lived on Tylenol for about a month once I got home. The key is to take it regularly and not just when the pain gets worse. After that, nothing.

saida
Jun 01, 2024 3:25 am

I used a donut cushion and it did help a lot. Also, alternate with lying on the side. Do not stay in one position for long.
I used to have a good shower in the morning to keep that area clean with a soap substitute/emollient, and I think it did help with the pain and the healing.
I had painkillers for over 2 months, then slowly reduced them.
Hope this helps.