New to Ostomate, Need Advice

Replies
Views
ltrogs
Jul 20, 2023 4:45 pm

Hi! I had a large amount of what I think is mucus leak from my rear end last night. I've been feeling pressure like gas back there for a while. Has anyone dealt with this kind of issue? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

CrappyColon
Jul 20, 2023 8:13 pm

Hi! Big 3 questions:

1) What type of surgery did you have?

2) When did you have surgery?

3) Why did you have surgery?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

TerryLT
Jul 20, 2023 9:22 pm

Mucus is normal and really common. It's just the lubricant your body produces to move the stool along. As my ostomy nurse said, when you got your ostomy, your colon 'didn't get the memo' that their services were no longer required, so it continues to produce this lubricant. Some have more than others, and to some, it can be quite bothersome. I get it occasionally, but it's unpredictable and never very much. It doesn't bother me at all. I will often get a feeling like I need to have a 'normal' bowel movement, and that is usually when there is some mucus that is ready to come out.

Terry

Mysterious Mose
Jul 22, 2023 8:56 pm

Terry gives a good description of what you are experiencing. If your surgery was relatively recent, it will slow down and be more manageable. For me, it took almost 4 months.

But, it would be helpful to know the answers to the questions asked by CrappyColonDiaries. There are a lot of varieties hanging out here. :-)

Daniel