Maximizing Adhesive Longevity for Salts Convex Bags

Replies
Views
gsed.watson
Jun 30, 2024 11:00 am

Hi guys.
I was wondering what tips people had for making a bag stick and last for three days. I'm currently using Salts convex bags. I get them precut. I'm quite active in my daily life. At the moment, my bags last from one day, and sometimes now I am getting more days that they are lasting to about three days.
At the moment, I use a barrier ring as well, again from Salts. I always have to use flanges. The issues I have are sometimes the leak is under the ring, or sometimes the bag just not lasting for more than a full day. I do heat my bag; today I heated the ring, so we will see how that goes. I am getting better but thought I'd ask for any tips that I could use. Thanks in advance.

momfourus478
Jun 30, 2024 11:06 am

I use heat when I change my bag to help make it stick.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Riva
Jun 30, 2024 12:42 pm

If you're using soaps with oils in them when cleaning, that's a no-no. I found Dial or Ivory works best for me.

warrior
Jun 30, 2024 1:23 pm

Spot on! Heat and oil-fragrance free soaps. The area around your stoma must be clean and dry.

The help of strip extenders also helps keep the flange on and waterproof that seal.

xnine
Jun 30, 2024 2:50 pm

I found the Salts rings the best. I get 10+ days. The area must be dry.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Hisbiscus
Jun 30, 2024 2:51 pm

Ditto on all of the above, and sometimes if you sweat a lot, you may just need to change more often.

Ben38
Jun 30, 2024 3:03 pm

My first thought is the bag's not right for you; even being very active, you should get 3 days problem-free out of it. You could try some roll-on deodorant on the skin around the stoma; it's an old trick that's been used since long before today's products were available. Personally, I would speak to your stoma nurse and get samples of other bags to try.

warrior
Jun 30, 2024 3:24 pm
Reply to Ben38

This would depend if your stoma speaks. 😆 Sorry, Ben. Just teasing.

MarvyMarcia
Jun 30, 2024 6:06 pm

Have you tried skin protective wipes? They seem to create a sticky area and help mine stick better. As many folks have mentioned, make sure the area is dry and lotion/oil-free.

gsed.watson
Jun 30, 2024 7:29 pm
Reply to MarvyMarcia

I don't use lotion on my belly and it's always dry. I use a fan or hair dryer. Currently, I am using barrier adhesive wipes.

gsed.watson
Jun 30, 2024 7:30 pm
Reply to Ben38

I will try the deodorant I saw today. I am thinking of trying other brands. I've been getting some that last 3 days, so it's getting better; before, they were not lasting a day.

Beth22
Jul 01, 2024 12:37 am

Does your stoma protrude, or is it flush with your wafer? Also, you could try adhesive remover spray instead of the wipes. I found the wipes to be more oily for me and my skin.

JD
Jul 01, 2024 2:00 am

How long after you change your bag do you sit still to let the adhesive set? I was told by my ostomy nurse to relax for 20 minutes if possible, with a hand to help warm the adhesive, which would help. Twenty minutes is more than I can do, but I get about 10 minutes in a reclining chair and keep an abdominal binder on for about 30 minutes to help things set, and that has made a big difference.

gsed.watson
Jul 01, 2024 8:05 am
Reply to JD

Thank you for this. I have noticed a difference when I give myself more time; around 15-20 minutes does it.

I will keep doing it.

gsed.watson
Jul 01, 2024 8:05 am
Reply to JD

Thank you for this. I have noticed a difference when I give myself more time; around 15-20 minutes does it.

I will keep doing it.

Jayne
Jul 01, 2024 9:10 pm

Hello Gsed.Watson,

As you use Salts products, have you tried their protector wipes? In my experience, they provide a film which is safe and seems to aid adhesion at the point of interface. This may help your initial seepage and thus enhance the life of your appliance/s between changes [on edit I notice this has already been suggested - whoops ;-)]

https://www.salts.co.uk/en-gb/products/additional-products/salts-barrier-film-wipes

As Ben has suggested, maybe another brand may suit you better.

When my own skin was exacerbated, I used Coloplast - the relevance of this mention is that Coloplast is the only manufacturer to use zinc within their base wafers. Zinc aids healing and if [not saying you do have an allergy] you do have extra sensitivity, you might find even a periodic change of appliance helpful.

The other point is, in my experience, in the event of a large and/or liquid output, the weight of the same is not helpful. Thus, I tend to try and empty early and [sorry just noticed caps] - using a smaller drainable bag results in less stress on the skin.

[Managing diet too can help enormously!]

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Jayne

aTraveler
Jul 09, 2024 7:47 am

Try wearing an ostomy belt to hold the bag against the skin.