Struggling with Ileostomy and Fistula Complications

Replies
Views
Alwaysknitting
Jul 06, 2024 11:22 pm

I was in the hospital for 3 months. I went in for something completely unrelated and left with an ileostomy and a fistula right above it, less than an inch away, that supposedly would heal and things would be a lot easier.
A week ago, I was told that it would never heal and it was supposed to be there. I tried to contact the surgeon but couldn't get an appointment until next week, so I've had a lot of time to stew over this.
It's so close to the stoma that I can't move without the plastic ring digging into it. It bleeds a lot and leaks out even though it's got the silver pad and plastic around it. I have had to change everything daily unless I'm very careful. It hurts all the time and limits my activity. It's been 3 months. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Beachboy
Jul 07, 2024 12:52 am

Hello,

You really need to consult with your surgeon about this.

Question #1: Did the surgeon create the fistula for a reason? Or, did the fistula develop as a complication?

2. Is the fistula doing something related to your ostomy, and that's why it won't heal?

If you feel sick, or develop a fever, go to the emergency room of a hospital. Do not go to an Urgent Care place; they are usually not equipped to help ostomates.

I had a fistula develop about a week after surgery at the bottom of my surgical cut. It was pretty large. It drained bloody fluid all the time. My surgeon gave me advice on supplies to buy on Amazon, and daily procedures to heal it up. It took about 3 weeks to close up, 6 months for the fistula area to smooth out and not look like someone whacked me with a pickaxe.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Alwaysknitting
Jul 07, 2024 1:27 am
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you for this information. I have an appointment with the surgeon next week. It was created during surgery.