First Flight Experience with a Colostomy at TSA

Replies
Views
Beachboy
Jul 18, 2024 3:33 pm

Just went through TSA check at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California. Domestic flight to Phoenix.

Just mentioned I have an ostomy. They had me rub my hands on my shirt over the colostomy. Then they ran a wand over my hands. They put the wand sample wipe in a machine, then I was good to go.

Easy peasy.

Douglas john
Jul 18, 2024 5:25 pm

I used to fly to Europe with my Braun irrigation pump. Never again. The border control officers in Italy made me fire it up in the customs hall to prove that it wasn't a bomb. The Spanish took it away and returned it ten minutes later with a scowl, but the French just shrugged their shoulders. I take a gravity bag with me now.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jul 18, 2024 6:08 pm

Yeah, it's easy. I don't get why everyone thinks it's so difficult and you have to print off your medical history and carry it with you. 👍

Beachboy
Jul 18, 2024 6:33 pm

Welp.....

Still at the airport. Our American Airlines flight is delayed due to a catering door alarm. The plane has been towed away. There are no mechanics at this airport. So, a mechanic is driving in from somewhere. This was an expensive flight... $900 for 2.

What a mess. I should have driven to Phoenix; I would have been there already.

We've been rebooked on a... 4:45 pm flight. Over a 6-hour delay. Only middle seats available. Nice. I wonder where our luggage will end up... probably New Jersey.

We arrived here at 8:00 am, so we get to spend the day wandering John Wayne Airport.

I will NEVER do this again. If where I'm going is within a 2-state distance, I'm driving.

AlexT
Jul 18, 2024 8:05 pm

Last time we flew to Phoenix, we were there in less than 3 hours, and home just as fast. 🤷‍♂️

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Jul 18, 2024 8:20 pm
Reply to AlexT

I should have driven. Got lazy and chose to fly.

It is kind of fun relaxing at the airport. Having lunch at Ruby's. Just ordered a chocolate shake with a smidge of peanut butter.