Struggling with Daily Ostomy Leakage and Skin Irritation

Replies
Views
Magestic-cats5
Jul 22, 2024 2:40 am

For the last three months, my stoma has retracted and I have tried several different methods to decrease the leakage. I'm fortunate if I can get two days wearing the ostomy wafer. My skin is very irritated due to the leakage. I don't have a stoma nurse; I have been on my own from the very beginning. I'm getting depressed and feeling so helpless. I'm 74 years old and in bad health. I basically stay in my hospital bed. I don't know what the answer is to stop the leaking. Please, help me.

AlexT
Jul 22, 2024 3:14 am

If it's truly retracted, go in and get it fixed so it's not retracted.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beth22
Jul 22, 2024 3:16 am

Hi there,

If you're getting two days without leaking with a retracted stoma, that's actually pretty good. When mine was retracted, I couldn't go an hour. What are you using right now?

Magestic-cats5
Jul 22, 2024 3:59 am
Reply to Beth22

I'm using a 2-piece convex Hollister. I use Adapt barrier seals. I have tried using the stoma paste, but that didn't last more than a few hours.

Kas
Jul 22, 2024 10:00 am

Good morning!

I agree with Alex T, you should make an appointment with your surgeon to see about a revision. I had half of mine retract and was having leaks constantly even with convex barriers. The revision surgery was easy and I was out of the hospital the next morning. I know everyone is different, but compared to what you've already been through, the revision should be a piece of cake!

Best wishes to you!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Justbreathe
Jul 22, 2024 11:05 am

Majestic - I change my “gear” every other day as well. I do this mostly by choice. I have experienced leaks as well, however, I have tried many different supplies and end up returning to my tried and true simplest form of gear. Changing every other day has become the norm for me. I never worry about smells, etc., which I credit to my routine. Showering every day and on change day I shower totally bag free. It is the best! Some days a shower seems like a chore, but once begun, half done, and when I step out I feel so much better. If you are able to get free from your bed - this would be my recommendation. Beds, lounge chairs, etc. are so inviting but tend to be entrapments…my 97-year-old friend will tell me “you rest, you rust” …. Hugs to you…jb

ron in mich
Jul 22, 2024 12:35 pm

Hi Magestic, if you're lying in bed a lot, that's part of the problem as the output is probably pooling around your stoma, and having a low or short stoma is going to make it worse.

IGGIE
Jul 22, 2024 2:32 pm

I agree with Ron, I think you need to get up and move around more. But more importantly, you should see your surgeon and get it fixed. Regards, IGGIE

Mysterious Mose
Jul 22, 2024 6:37 pm

I cannot personally relate to a retracted stoma, but I agree with Ron and IGGIE. If you are spending most of the day on your back, that can cause pooling and subsequent leaks. You say you spend a lot of time in a hospital bed. I assume then that the bed is able to raise your torso. Barring pressure sores, that would be much preferable to lying flat, whether on your back or side.

Daniel

eefyjig
Jul 22, 2024 6:43 pm

Hi there, when you're in bed, are you lying on your back? Your output will pool around your stoma and can lead to leaks, so it's better to either sit up or sleep on your side. A convex wafer on your bag can also help to push the stoma out more.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 22, 2024 7:07 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Agree with eefyjig. If you are not using convex wafers, you should give them a try. Are you using any barrier rings? If your wafer does not fit snugly, they can help.

Daniel