Silver Alginate for Treating Raw Skin Around a Stoma

Replies
Views
Almost there
Jul 23, 2024 12:28 am

Hello, new here! Has anyone tried/used silver alginate for raw skin around a stoma? If so, did you get a seal and how long did it take to work?

AlexT
Jul 23, 2024 2:26 am

Never used it for that, but I tried every sort of silver stuff for something else. Unless it comes in some sort of powder form, the types I tried were cloth/foam-like. I'm not sure how it could seal an ostomy bag. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Jul 23, 2024 5:20 am

I used it to close a huge hole that popped open at the bottom of my surgical scar.

Worked very well. Hole closed up in about 3 weeks.

Axl
Jul 24, 2024 8:43 am

You haven't tried a barrier spray/wipe, or are you just experimenting?

Beth22
Jul 26, 2024 1:40 am

I wouldn't recommend putting it around your stoma for that. You realize what that stuff does and is used for, right?

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Jul 26, 2024 9:49 pm

I should mention: I cut the silver alginate material to fit into the hole in my abdomen. Then, I stuffed it in the hole. (I know, it freaked me out too). After several hours, the alginate turned into jelly. This sealed the hole and kept it moist. The silver killed bacteria.

I wouldn't put it around a stoma. It's not made for that.

AlexT
Jul 26, 2024 11:22 pm
Reply to Beachboy

I cut pieces and shoved them up my butt šŸ˜(itā€™s where my wound was). Didnā€™t work for my wound but the gooey jelly like mess is real. šŸ¤­ šŸ˜¬

bonniebuchanan
Jul 28, 2024 1:50 am

Personally, I have frequent issues with pancaking (I use Brava Lubricant that gets stuff to move off my stoma), and so I can often have irritation if waste sits in one location too long (raw skin, whatever you want to call it), and since for me it stings and burns like holy honeycomb, I said to heck with this and went in search of relief (as nurses just told me it happens and that's it).

..winks So, here's my secret for instant (almost) reliefā€¦

I use lidocaine 5% (highest you can buy unprescribed), they (Amazon) sell it as a hemorrhoid cream (100% pure lidocaine, approximately $20). Lidocaine is often used for numbing areas for waxing (I wax at home so had some on hand), tattoos, or piercingsā€¦so I went for it and 15-20 minutes later, ahh relief! And I could do what needed doing as far as cleaning without the screaming or crying, then reapplying a bit more after all is cleaned and applying powder before bag placement. Honestly, I'd be climbing up the walls if I just had to live with the discomfort and the lidocaine has been a huge help. I do try to keep in mind that lidocaine numbs the area so it is up to me to visually monitor to ensure all is good and there isn't any further irritation or infection going onā€¦Regardless, this is what I use/do, and I'm simply sharing the info, but not advocating its use. Check with your doctor, everyone is different yada-yada-yada..winks and I hope you too find relief.