Lubricating Deodorant or Sachets: Which Works Better?

Replies
Views
SunflwrConcepts
Sep 10, 2024 12:59 pm

Hello fellow Ostomates!

I am new - 3 years last month. I have tried a scented lubricating deodorant (their scent made me nauseated) and now unscented; however, every time I use a liquid bag deodorant, it seems to create a mess at the bottom (drain). I had heard something about sachets and have often wondered if they work and what exactly they are?

Thanks in advance for info and advice!

Riva
Sep 10, 2024 3:02 pm

Hi.  Try putting some peppermint Altoids in the pouch.   It works.   I believe what you’re looking for is a product called Diamonds.   Good luck 👍🌈

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Andrew82
Sep 10, 2024 3:26 pm

Hi there - I use both.  I haven't had a problem with the lubricating stuff but I use diamonds more often.  I do feel like they changed the formula a bit on the diamonds though as I tend to see a lot of carbon beads after emptying with my more recent batch.  Both work great though, but eventually wear off.  

AlexT
Sep 10, 2024 7:10 pm

Are you using too much lubricant? Obviously there will be some at the bottom of the bag but it shouldn’t be so much to make a mess. 

SunflwrConcepts
Sep 11, 2024 12:32 am
Reply to AlexT

I only add a little squirt.  Hmmm.

I will reduce the amount and try again, thanks!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
SunflwrConcepts
Sep 11, 2024 12:38 am
Reply to Andrew82

Thank you for the info! Diamonds? They are carbon beads?  If you don't mind me asking, where or who carries these? I haven't put an order in since last November.  

Thanks

SunflwrConcepts
Sep 11, 2024 12:40 am
Reply to Riva

I like this idea... Altoids are a close and quick option. Thank you!

daanders2
Sep 11, 2024 12:40 pm
Reply to SunflwrConcepts

Amazon has them. I use these daily.

rlevineia
Sep 14, 2024 2:39 pm

M-9 deodorant?  It leaks blue out of the poor seal on Convatec bags, but not Hollister's.  I just switched to Adapt lubricating gel & it stays in the pouch.  Thick & clear.  Pour it into the top of a new pouch & move it around OR pour some into the end, after you empty.

SunflwrConcepts
Sep 14, 2024 10:37 pm
Reply to Riva

I tried 1 regular-sized Peppermint Altoid. I really did not notice a change. I should have asked, "Do I use regular size or the mini Altoid mints and how many at a time?"

Thank you, I appreciate you!

SunflwrConcepts
Sep 14, 2024 10:39 pm
Reply to daanders2

Bless you and Thanks!

Hasapoopbag
Sep 14, 2024 10:50 pm

I generally use my deep laundry sink to empty and flush my bag. While in there… feeling gross and smelly, I dropped a teaspoonful of laundry scent beads (unstopables) into my clean bag with a tiny squirt of lubricating deodorant and have enjoyed stink free bags ever since I discovered this. The scent beads dissolve but leave a clean scent. I change my one piece bag about every three days.

SunflwrConcepts
Sep 15, 2024 12:05 am
Reply to Hasapoopbag

I too have a one-piece bag. I am slowly drying out. My Rosie gets upset if things aren't going smoothly. Sometimes I use a peri-bottle to rinse the bottom (drain). I am game to try just about anything. I have even used Poopourri spray. I found it works better when sprayed as an aerosol. How much UNSTOPPABLE Beads do you use? My changes are almost like clockwork (7 days); occasionally, I do something I shouldn't do, like lifting. A bubbling feeling gives me a heads up that I will need a change the following day. Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book.

Thank you for all the support.

Hasapoopbag
Sep 15, 2024 2:37 am

I actually use a directional spray head on my utility sink faucet… I rinse thoroughly about three times…swishing all around the stoma until water is clear. I drop about a half tsp of scent beads into the bag with a squirt of lubricant, roll the bottom of the bag and I use a dry washcloth to wipe the top and underside of the bag. Four days is about as long as I can go without a fresh bag and ring.

Diverticulitissucks!
Sep 15, 2024 2:34 pm

I've had good luck with Revel "it's in the bag" lubricant. Go to their web page and order samples. I hope this works for you. I like the Eucalyptus scent! Good luck!

Kela
Sep 15, 2024 4:26 pm

Try Devrom chewable internal deodorant tablets.  They work great!