Pain Near Ostomy Scar After Surgery Reversal

Replies
Views
MarvyMarcia
Jul 25, 2024 4:09 pm

Hi All,

I don't get on here as often as I would like to. I do know there have been some most helpful replies to my past questions. I had a colostomy reversal at the end of May. I have had fairly regular bowel movements. It does seem that my poo is thick and hard to evacuate at times. I had pain I determined was gas to the right side of my 8" scar from the surgeon having to go open surgery. That was about a month ago and went away with massaging the area and reduced gas.

Now I am experiencing pain near my stoma scar. It hurts when I move from lying down or from sitting up or down. The pain is to the left of my ostomy scar and is pressure sensitive as well. I did have some constipation the past two days and lots of gas. I had a good bowel movement today. The pain is less but still there. Another strange thing is that I wasn't at all hungry last night. As of late, it seems hunger is ever present.

I haven't taken any laxatives since my reversal. I do use Triphala in an effort to keep my digestive system healthy.

Anyone have this issue or have advice on how to proceed? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Beachboy
Jul 25, 2024 5:21 pm

Hello.

General advice: If the pain gets worse, if you develop a fever, if stools turn bloody... go to the ER at a hospital at once. Do not go to an urgent care facility.

If the pain remains consistent and you're concerned, visit your doctor to get a CT scan.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ben38
Jul 25, 2024 6:43 pm

Possibly healing pain, adhesions, or hernia; best to speak to a doctor about it.

Newhere
Jul 25, 2024 11:08 pm

Hey MarvyMacia. It's been nearly a year since my reversal. The old stoma site still gives me a twinge of pain now and again; it also still does not feel as strong as I would like it to. I wear a binder every day. You must remember there was a decent-sized hole there before it got sewn up. If you are worried, get it checked out, but May wasn't that long ago. Rest up, take care. Bill.

MoeMoe
Aug 01, 2024 2:50 am

Hi MarvyMarcia! I'm at 4.5 months post-colostomy reversal. First, congrats, and second, for the first two months after reversal, I had a burning sensation around the stoma site when I sat up or went into a lying position. I still get rectal pain every now and then, twinges of pain at the stoma site, and soreness when I press on my belly anywhere near the stoma. Nothing excruciating, just exacerbates my anxiety. It may just be post-surgical pain since your surgery wasn't too long ago, but if you are concerned in any way, you should call the surgeon; it will give you peace of mind. I called my surgeon a lot, for every little thing. I think they knew my voice, LOL, but it eased my anxiety.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
MarvyMarcia
Aug 01, 2024 1:18 pm

Thanks to each of you. MoeMoe, I understand anxiety. I have called my surgeon as well. I did go to my primary. She palpated my stomach and said I have a viral infection. COVID is going around again and there are other bugs. I do feel much better. She had some serious abdominal scars, so the comfort level with her is always good.

Hope we all continue to heal in our own best way!