Struggling with Wafer Adhesion Due to Sunken Stomach Area

Replies
Views
whitneyg421
Aug 03, 2024 1:39 pm

My stomach has become sunken underneath my stomach, which is causing the wafer to pull away and all of my output to go right underneath it. I can't change the appliance every time I have output, but I've tried the barrier rings (the flexible half-circle thingies), and those pull away from the skin as well. I haven't tried stomapaste. I'm a little afraid that it will irritate my already irritated skin. I'm having a procedure to get rid of some pockets of fluid, which they think is causing this issue, but until then, any suggestions? I'm almost out of wafers and a week from when my insurance will reorder, or else I'd just keep changing it until I'm "fixed".

Happytostillbehere
Aug 03, 2024 2:53 pm

Damn shame that insurance company policies are so rigid when it comes to reordering supplies in case of emergency situations. Like that old saying, let them walk a mile in my shoes. Policy would change overnight.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

infinitycastle52777
Aug 03, 2024 3:06 pm

You could try the Cera Plus wafer 11404; it is raised slightly for stomachs that are not flat. Also, try a ring that goes all the way around instead of the halfway ones. Put the ring on the wafer and press it down so that it goes to the edge of the circle, and then press it down around the wafer. These are two of the tricks I use and have had success with. Sorry you are having troubles.

Beachboy
Aug 03, 2024 5:49 pm

Do you have a colostomy or ileostomy?

Have you tried a convex wafer with an ostomy support belt? Most ostomy supply manufacturers offer free samples. They also have nurses who answer questions and offer advice. Look them up on the internet.

Amazon has lots of inexpensive support belts that apply pressure to the wafer. Wearing a belt should help maintain wafer seal integrity. You can also buy wafers and bags too... if you're short on supplies.

Ask your ostomy supply company the maximum amounts you can get with each order. Then max out your orders until you build up extra supplies. Your insurance should cover support belts too. I use Nu-Hope Corporation belts for my colostomy.

How far does your stoma stick out? If your stoma is close to skin level, it will cause problems.

infinitycastle52777
Aug 03, 2024 10:10 pm
Reply to Beachboy

That is an excellent suggestion about maxing out your supplies until you build up a supply. That is what I did, and now I have a closet shelf totally full of supplies. So if I ever had to change a bag before its time, I have plenty of supplies. For insurance, I had to ask my ostomy doctor to write the prescription for more than I needed. So she wrote me for 20 bags and 20 wafers a month, and I only change every 3 days. So I have amassed a good supply of extras. This is also good if my insurance ever changes. I will have time to plan for that.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
DeMaGo
Aug 03, 2024 10:50 pm

Hi,

I was using the full ring and had leaks underneath it. (The wafer around the stoma I might have cut a little too wide.) The skin around the stoma became irritated, so I used a barrier wipe and then the powder on the worst spots. (Mostly under the stoma) I switched to the paste, and putting it on the wafer wasn't too difficult. I have neuropathy in my fingertips, so I use gloves to help. I am able to take a bit of paste and apply it around my stoma to ensure a good seal. It's messy, but it helped, and the paste will fill in any dips and spaces.

Coming off, I find it is less sticky; the ring would leave back sticky spots. The paste wipes away better.

I have also used convex wafers that my stoma nurse ordered for me. They never leaked for me.

I use ostomydepot.ca for supplies here in Canada as I found them cheapest.

I have been lucky with the free supplies from the stoma nurse and Coloplast.ca. I keep extra stock of the various products. I'm still waiting on coverage.

I have an ileostomy and am using the Coloplast click system right now with the paste.

Desiree

givvmistamps
Aug 04, 2024 7:38 am

Hi. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble getting your ostomy bags to adhere. I can share the advice I got from the ostomy nurse at the hospital. She is fabulous! She said that the one-piece convex system is best for people who have uneven stomachs. They tend to leak a lot less than other systems. Also, make sure you're not cutting the hole for your stoma too large. It should fit pretty snugly around the stoma to adhere to and protect the skin around it. The stoma paste is essential, more important than using the wafers. I have found the wafers to cause more problems than they solve for my situation. The paste has been an absolute blessing! I just have to be careful not to use too much, and it does tend to soften in a hot shower so that the bag can spring a leak. It's just that using the paste is the only way I can get a bag to stay for 3 days. Finally, I use the belt that goes with my system. It locks in on either side and holds the bag more securely against my body. My insurance covers Coloplast and I've been pretty happy with it. I think my doctor wrote the prescription for the maximum amount of bags because I received four boxes in my first order, which would be enough to change every day or two. The ostomy nurse also hooked me up with extra supplies when I was hospitalized again last week for dehydration...she said never to use my own supplies when hospitalized; the hospital provides for everything I need. So now my stash is building nicely and I've only had my ostomy for 7 weeks! It's going to be 12 months of chemo before I can have my ostomy reversed, so I'm in this club for a while.