Discolored Skin Under Stoma: Cause for Concern?

Replies
Views
SJM622
Oct 01, 2012 6:43 pm
I am asking a question for my mom who had a urostomy 16 months ago.  She is 83 and has adapted very well, but she just asked me to look at the skin directly under the stoma.  For about two months it has been discolored, but not raw or infected looking.  It doesn't itch.  It has a tough feel to it.  She is very careful about cleaning it and using a barrier wipe.  Just wondering if it is anything to be concerned about.  I don't think she needs to go to a smaller size, because this one fits well.  Thanks for any responses.
Past Member
Oct 01, 2012 10:42 pm
If she (or you) is worried, then the best thing is to ask your stoma nurse (or doctor) for an opinion. I'm sure that neither will mind doing that

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Primeboy
Oct 02, 2012 3:25 am
Czes is right, but my initial reaction is that it's probably nothing. We could give you better answers if you were more specific about the color. Still, check it out with your mother's nurse or doctor. That's why they get paid the big bucks.   PB
Bill
Oct 02, 2012 5:38 am
Hello SJM622.

I agree with the other posts in that the professionals should be able to explain what is happening.

The skin surrounding my own stoma has changed over time both in shape and colour, but then I have a hernia just behind the stoma so I put all the changes down to the effects of that.   Mine has appeared 'normal' at times, it has been bright red, and various shades in between, but for the last few months has been a dark purple colour a bit like a bruise that's healing. It is sometimes tender to touch in places but I don't worry too much about any of that as long as it is working broadly in the way that it should.

Best wishes

Bill