Sleeping Issues and Pain Post-Ileostomy Surgery

Replies
Views
kainela2001
Aug 11, 2024 2:42 am

I've always been a side/stomach sleeper until September 2023 when I had my surgery and received an ileostomy. Now, if I lay on my side, I get an uncomfortable pain in my stomach. It's not super painful, but very uncomfortable. It's hard to describe what it feels like, but it's as if something was loose inside and leaning against the side when I lay on it, if that makes sense. So, I have to sleep on my back, but the problem is I find it difficult to get comfortable on my back, and I experience back pain when I try to sleep. I'm only 23, so I'm hoping anybody has some advice so I don't have to deal with this for the rest of my life. I've mentioned the side pain a few times to different doctors, but never really got a response.

Beachboy
Aug 11, 2024 5:45 am

I'm an uncomfortable sleeper too. I'm 18 months post-op with a permanent colostomy. I have a hard time on beds. I just can't get comfortable and worry I'll turn on my stomach and squish my stoma.

So, I outfitted my sofa as my bed. The sofa back ensures I can't turn over. And if I turn the other way, I'll fall off. I adjust the hardness by putting a thin board under the cushions. I get the boards from Home Depot. They are already cut to size with many different thicknesses to choose from. So far, it works well. I mainly sleep on my side, opposite the stoma. I found if the cushion is too stiff, it's uncomfortable on my stoma. The best for me is a saggy cushion; it conforms best to my body. And it's easy to sit up, then lay on my back.

Dealing with an ostomy is really about discovering the equipment that works best for your unique situation.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Aug 11, 2024 8:09 am

Hello kainela2001.
My sleeping position problems began when I had a skiing accident and dislocated a few ribs and clavicle.
I had to sleep upright in a chair for months and only gradually began lowing the position to be more recumbent as the pain lessened. 
What I learned from that experience was that sleeping in the recumbent position (especially in a chair) had distinct advantages when it came to things like my stoma and my breathing(CPAP) machine, which both had a tendency to wake me up involuntarily.
The recumbent position tends to restrict my movements and therefore there is less chance of anything coming adrift, which would cause me to wake up.
Over time. I have come to appreciate this position and would not now wish to return to lying down.
I have now bought a reclining bed that also lifts the legs, so that it is in much the same position as one might be in a hammock.
I think that finding an 'ideal' sleeping position is not easy, but by keeping an open mind and giving a whole variety of positions a good try, is probably the best way of finding a position to suit your  personal circumstances.
Here's hoping that you can find that ideal situation asap.
Best wishes

Bill 

kainela2001
Aug 11, 2024 12:02 pm
Reply to Beachboy

I get uncomfortable pain on either side I lay on. The only way I can manage it is if I turn on my side when I'm asleep, then half wake up. If I'm tired enough, I can just go back to sleep. I have tried lying on a cushion, but I'll try a couple of different things and hope something works. Thank you.

imsafanwa
Aug 12, 2024 11:09 pm

I gave up on the bed and now sleep in a recliner. It's big enough that I can get partially on either side and find a comfy position.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Rancher
Aug 13, 2024 3:10 am

You might try a hernia belt when you sleep; it might hold things together enough that it might not hurt.

Just a thought.

kainela2001
Aug 13, 2024 11:14 am
Reply to Rancher

I don't think I have a hernia belt, but I have a support one, so I'll try that. It never crossed my mind, to be honest. Thank you.