Life After Anus Removal Surgery - Experiences?

Replies
Views
GrammieRed
Aug 11, 2024 1:53 pm

Hello everyone. It's been a while, but I know that this is absolutely the best place to ask my question. :)

How is life after the removal of the anus?

I've had 2 colostomies, 2 failed reversals, and finally my ileo, which I've had now for 12 years. (I had anal canal cancer)

I've never had issues with leakage back there until about 6 months ago. It started slowly, but now it's ridiculous. I have to wear pads, which I have to change 4 or 5 times a day. It has disrupted my life more than my ostomies.

My surgeon thinks some of the leakage is coming from my stomach, and he wants to remove my anus. He sent me for an MRI to see if there's any cancer before he operates. I meet with him on Wednesday to discuss the result and hopefully schedule surgery.

What can I expect before and after surgery? Recovery? What was it like for you?

You are the ones who understand. I look forward to all your help and advice. :)

xnine
Aug 11, 2024 2:59 pm

I had mine done all at once. The thing I remember is to not wear too thick of a pad once it is done. It will put pressure on it. Get something comfortable to sit on; do not use a donut.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ben38
Aug 11, 2024 3:49 pm

I was the same, having to wear pads, and the smell of what was coming out was foul. I was afraid of going out because everyone could smell it. After surgery, I had an abscess inside, so I felt pretty rough and it took about 6 months to heal. That was over 20 years ago; other than that, no problems. They weren't around back then, but if I were having it done now, I would buy a gel cushion to sit on. I do have one now for back pain; they're really comfortable to sit on and very cheap to buy.

Night owl
Aug 11, 2024 6:12 pm

I still have my rectal stump and anus and get the mucus coming from it. Flushing it out with water helps to keep it under control. Very easy to do with an enema bulb, all kinds these days.

Good luck!

AlexT
Aug 11, 2024 6:36 pm

If a person is never going to poop the old school way again, I have no idea why a person would want to keep parts they don't need and deal with dripping gooey stuff regularly. 🤢 Why put yourself through that? 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, you won't sit for a while and when you do, you'll either need a good cushion that covers the whole area (no donut-type cushion) or you'll need to sit/lean on one cheek until you're healed. You'll be sore, but I don't think it was overly painful. Keep your wound clean and dry.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Aug 11, 2024 6:46 pm

I have considered having it done, but I'm concerned about how long I'd be off work; I drive for a living.

AlexT
Aug 11, 2024 6:54 pm
Reply to Anonymous

With no issues while healing, I'd guess 2-3 months. Maybe part-time for a bit after that and work your way back to full time. Just my guess. Vehicle seats weren't so bad for me; it was hard seats that killed me (patio furniture, restaurant chairs, stadium seats, etc.)

Beth22
Aug 11, 2024 8:15 pm
Reply to AlexT

Alex T because some people can't have their anus and rectum removed. I can't have my anus removed, but I did have my rectum removed.

AlexT
Aug 11, 2024 8:39 pm
Reply to Beth22

Ok, let me reword it. If you're never going to poop the old-style way again and it's an option, I don't understand why anyone would want to deal with the dripping gooey stuff. I presumed everyone would get the "if it's an option" part, but I forgot the world we live in today, sorry.

rpdrose
Aug 12, 2024 12:10 am
Reply to xnine

Had my ileostomy in 1985, they left everything with the hope I could one day be reattached; it was a "pipe dream" (pun intended). I had 5 more surgeries, including moving my stoma to the other side of my stomach, and was told the rectum had to go; there was no way around that. I will say it took a little longer to recover than my other surgeries, but I've been in remission since 2006, am on no meds, and see my GI doctor once a year to chat and have him tell me how amazed he is at my health. Anything is possible.

Hisbiscus
Aug 12, 2024 3:39 am

Mine was taken rectum, anus, and my whole colon all in the same operation called a total proctocolectomy. They sewed my bum up, which they call a Barbie butt here. I made sure he was going to take that thing because I read people had problems when left in, and something about a stump causing problems. My thoughts were, if I can never use it, then why leave it in and possibly get cancer in it or have those other issues. I told him to take the appendix while he's in there too because some of my symptoms could have been related to that thing too.

Beth22
Aug 12, 2024 5:07 am
Reply to AlexT

Lol, I know what you meant... and no, I can't and have never been able to pass stool out of my bum, hence my ileo. But removing the anus isn't even an option for me; taking the rectum is as far as I can go. So, some people actually don't have an option. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions; not everyone is in the same boat. Just like we all have ileos, colostomies, or a urostomy for different reasons.

AlexT
Aug 12, 2024 5:13 am
Reply to Beth22

I didn't jump to any conclusions; I just forgot to add if it's an option. Obviously, to most, if it's not an option to take it all out, then a person wouldn't have it all taken out.

Silveradokid
Aug 19, 2024 6:50 am

A year after my colostomy, I underwent ileostomy surgery to make it permanent. This included the removal of my rectum and anus. Recovery, for me, was relatively swift and minimally painful. And now I'm appreciative of the fact that, technically, people cannot call me an asshole since I no longer have one. Yes, the benefits of perception and humor...

Sasquatch
Aug 19, 2024 12:33 pm
Reply to Silveradokid

I've always referred to it as the "nice guy" surgery!