Ostomy Without Civilization

Replies
Views
kbd
Jul 03, 2012 1:24 pm
I have sometimes wondered how one would survive with an ostomy if they did not have modern conveniences. With the recent power outage here in the US Midwest I got to change my wafer by battery powered light, and it got me to wondering how hard it would be to deal with an ostomy outside of civilization. Have you ever found yourself in a situation or place where modern conveniences were few yet you had to deal with your ostomy?

Thanks.

kbd
bikerboy
Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm
why change the wafer and bag inside when the sun is out all day.I change my wafer in the front yard and sit there getting some sun all day.dont worry about showing your stoma in public,I do all the time.I go to the beach and walk down sidewalks w/out a shirt and love the way people either look away or ask what is it,have fun with your stoma
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

kbd
Jul 03, 2012 11:56 pm
I think you are a bit braver than I am

Login to see image

Jazx
Jul 04, 2012 1:26 am
OOOOHHH MYYYYY!?!?!@ bikerboy   I could never do that.

kbd - I have thought about that long and hard. I have been looking into different wafers and using a paste to seal it.  I have found a few, none tried yet.  My wife is pushing me to try them.  One is Bladder pouch by Torbot Group. I have been watching videos of a person who backpacks for days and changes her wafer.  I have been studying the habits and systems.  Sorry I'm very obsessive when it comes to my ostomy.  

Don't be like me - just get out and live like bikerboy!
kbd
Jul 04, 2012 1:34 am
Jazx, I tried the paste once and hated it. It gets hard as a rock. I use an Adapt Barrier Ring with my wafer and it holds up and seals well. Just mold it around the wafer opening and press the wafer and ring around the stoma.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
vanessavy
Jul 04, 2012 3:43 am
You would like to read this then

http://www.livingbiggerwithcolostomy.com/2012/06/1938-mabels-ostomy.html
Immarsh
Jul 04, 2012 5:43 am
Funny you should bring this topic up.  I had my surgery nearly 50 years ago, and I often reflect on how different supplies were "back in those olden days".  The flange was reusable, and first rubber and then  plastic. They were adheared to the skin using a glue that had to dry, or it would cause burns.   the Bags were made of rubber, and later vinyl,  and were reusable.....and would smell.  We only had one bathroom, and we were four people, but I took up a lot of time in there when I had to change....which was quite often.  I was only 15....     

But I did everything a "kid" wanted to do, including going to camp.  I managed to changing at night,  while others were asleep, without lights, in a stall, with a cup of water...and a flashlight.  I was petrified that someone would walk in on me....or that I'd meet a skunk or a bear.  Once I was surrounded by a swarm of bees, who were attracted to the "odor".  I never even thought of asking the nurse if I could use the infirmary bathroom.  That would have been "smart" but I kept everything a secret.    

I also travelled a lot through the years, , and camped out, and so "emptied" in the woods..... or let air out of the pouch at the side of the road.  I did whatever I had to do....

I'm sure others have had similar adventures, and I hope they'll share.  Thanks for posting.
Immarsh
Jul 04, 2012 5:54 am
It takes time and self confidence.....but loosening up,   and "going with the flow",

makes day to day life so much more enjoyable.  

I don't always know how things will turn out,  but I won't miss adventure out of fear.  

I've been white water rafting... sailing, snorkeling on the Great barrier reef, swimming in the dead sea ( THAT WAS A DISASTER.....bag popped off and I had a mess in the dressing room)  but enjoyed and survived it all.  

Pregnancy was the biggest challenge,  Not that you guys have to worry about that.  I couldn't see my ostomy during the last few months,  and had to change by looking at a mirror.  

I've had 49 years with it...and only 15 before....   Life "with it" has been a blessing.

Marhsa
Past Member
Jul 04, 2012 8:47 am

So before you had an ostomy did you drop your pants and take a dump in the front yard too?! LOL!  Bloody hell, am glad you ain't my neighbour!  

I guess you were also one of those blokes forever "chucking a brown-eye" as well, explanation (maybe) on below youtube!

Which I may be removed for but hell well worth it hey!
kbd
Jul 04, 2012 1:57 pm
She was one amazing lady!
kbd
Jul 04, 2012 2:02 pm
Marhsa, I can't imagine being at camp as a kid with an ostomy. That had to be tough.
bikerboy
Jul 04, 2012 2:55 pm
awsome vanessavy very inspirational,I loved it
bikerboy
Jul 04, 2012 3:02 pm
very nice ~jo~ actually before I had my ileostomy I never heard of crohns,never heard of an ostomy,never heard of colon cancer,I was ignorant of many things.It just shows how some medical problems are not talked about and hidden in the closet.when I lived at home I had to use an outhouse or lew as some say so I say to ~jo~ if thats where you take a crap thats where you do your business.
Immarsh
Jul 07, 2012 4:34 am
Loved the video clip Jo...

This is also for others...   I got sick at 12, and had surgery at 15.  That was the blessing that got me back to real life.  I wanted to "catch up" with all that my friends had been doing, that I went to camp for a few weeks, without knowing how I was going to cope.  In the group showers, I wore elastic undies, and told everyone I had a hernia.  That's when I learned how to get dressed from the top down....shirt long enough to take off the wet undies and change.    Changing I did at night, after lights out...  'nough said about that.  I was more afraid of the skunks and bees than I was of being discovered by a human.  

That same summer, I had gone to the public beaches, and faced the reality of toilets without doors.  That's when I discovered emptying while standing up and facing the bowl.  Necessity breeds ingenuity...   or one can stay home and I'd had enough of that.  I think it's more difficult when one is older.   I was luck to have parents who pretty much let me decide for myself, what I wanted to do.    And sadly, with both my kids having IBD, I've had to do the same.