Try something new

Replies
Views
b 4 life
May 02, 2012 2:18 pm
When i first had my ileostomy 20 years ago i was given convac system 2 closed pouche 2 piece and stoma paste. and thats all i tryed till last year. i thought the product was ok even thow i probibly had a leak everyweek and it didnt stick great if i went swimming. dew to haveing lots of leaks i was quite red and sore .but when i had a hernia repair last year i asked the stoma nurse if i could try something new i wanted something more flush to the skin and a drainable bag i was quite happy with the look of my new bag and also got given a pair of comfizz boxers whitch were great they were high waisted which helps stop balloning of the bag and made me feel a lot more secure unfurtunatle the new bag and flange wernt good for me as my new stomer was i bit inverted and no very straight so i was having about 5 leaks aday so i went back to the nurse and tryed a hollister brand it wasnt as flush as the other but stuck a lot better to my skin and now only leak about once a month . i also have powder and creams for when im sore but the comfizz boxers have made living with the bag a lot better .ilooked on the web today and saw theres lots of new stuff to make life with a stomer a a bit easyer.also im so glad i found ostomates it realy helping me exept
Past Member
Apr 30, 2012 8:57 pm
Hi pleased your finding something thats suits you.i ues to ues two piece for years,but found one day it just wasnt working for me anymore,so i went to one peice i ues convect flange and it works fine.i ues Dansac it sticks on very well and i hardly have any leaks. This site is great friends on here are always willing to help and give advice..Pleased your coming to terms with your ostomy.. ive had mine over 30 years now i have my ups and downs but i think its like that for most of us. I was also pleased when i found the site, its opened doors to friendship . tc ambies..
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

b 4 life
Apr 30, 2012 9:59 pm
hello ambies thank you for your comment . its hard to beleave how much happier i am for chating to members on ostomates. im even thinking of giving that little bugger a name ;]
dentalguy22
Apr 30, 2012 11:00 pm
I named mine stoma Pete.... and my wife is named stoma Sally! lol!!
Past Member
Apr 30, 2012 11:31 pm
Hi meant to tell you I named mine alfie even wrote a poem about it. Its on profile if u want to read it lol ambies.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
mooza
May 01, 2012 12:41 am
heyaz I USE A ONE PIECE CONVEX DRAINABLE BUT HAVING MY ILEO I HAVE THE UNISEX BOXERS AND DONT CARE FOR THE POUCH LOOSING A LOT OF WATER SO LIKE MORE OF A LOWER KNICKER'S LOL THE UNISEX BOXERS OTHER WISE I LIKE NOT WITH MY POUCHY THOUGH oH MY STOMAS NAME IS CHERRY, CHEZZA OR CHEZ LOL ITS MY AUSSIE SLANG I SHORTENED MY STOMA NAME ITS JUST IN THE BLOOD I GUESS X X X X X MY STOMAS SHAPE CHANGED TOO SO THATS WHY I USE THE CONVEX IT PUSGES CHEZA OUT THAT LITTLE BIT MORE AND NO LEAKS AT ALL ALSO USE A STOMA POWDER AND NO STING BARRIER WIPE XX
b 4 life
May 01, 2012 1:51 pm
thanks for all your possitive comments. ok then ..GOOSE.. it is then. no more calling him a bloody idiot when he gives me a hard time.now be a good goose and no honking in public!!!
Past Member
May 01, 2012 5:13 pm
lol love the name B4 , and honking in public cracking up here like the frase..ambies..
spade
May 01, 2012 6:31 pm
I cannot seem to log onto chat room...I have a question for anyone who can help answer, as doctors always just say don't worry.I have a colomsy and 2-1/2 months after surgery the bowel fall out into the bag...big time could not get back in, couldn't go far for 6 weeks. Had to have surgery again. Meshing in this time, now the stoma was the size of a dime(cute)now 3 months later this stoma is about the size of a quarter, and is out about a inch which it wasn't before. It is not leaking,and is working. But it seems to keep getting bigger.did anyone else have this situation..I am so afraid it is going to fall out Again. This time I can't take off from work or will lose job. As I was out for 6 months thefirst 2 times. Ended up with two infections under the incison.Thank youSecond surgery they did put mesting in
dentalguy22
May 02, 2012 1:08 am
SPADE, sounds like they got things right the second time around.. one thing you have to remember here is that your stoma will expand and contract, thats normal! it is how the colon and bowel move waste through the body, if you do to much like lifting things or walking or standing to much, your stoma will stick out and become larger it is kind of a indicator your body uses to tell you to slow down! when I first went back to work I didnt last long, about 2 months or so my stoma came out about 4 inches, I was working 10 hour shift 5 days a week, on a punch press feeding tractor parts into the press. every day after work I had to take my bag and flange off, lay in bed with a towel around my waist, and wait for things to settle down.. after about two weeks of this I decided my health was WAY more important and quit that job, I found another one were I am not on my feet for long periods of time, and not lifting things.. I have no issues with my stoma, and other then fatigue I am managing to work and support my family. there are changes that need to be made now that you are an ostomate. you have to keep your health center stage!! if your job is high stress, or very physical, you might want to think about finding something else.. I know it is a suck-ish job market out there, it would be nice to keep your options open! hope things work out for you!Dentalguy22
spade
May 02, 2012 1:17 pm
Thank You dentalguy22 it makes sense what you said!
mooza
May 03, 2012 9:36 am
Hey spade I agree with dental guy as well ...If i lost my job because of an Ilness sue those a holes ugh ..Also u can ask the admin if u have dificultys with the chatroom i have too use firefox internet 9 i have too many problems still admin were fixing that late last year !!! thats what they told me ..my stoma is 25cm dont know american metric measuring systems sorry :) I did meet a guy whos stoma fell out i meen right out it was a prolaps but i cant remember what happened to him he is a member of my local ostomy Assoc in australia think he had his operation in russia so not too sure if it was fixable but dont get pushed around you me all of us been through enough if possible and you can get other work , but if it means u loose entitlements i would get my union not sure of your situation good luck ..I call a spade a spade xxxxxxxxx Moozeee xx
imtheone
May 03, 2012 8:58 pm
i have to wear Convex or it will leak in have tryed everything i use Coloplast 1 piece , allkare barrier wipes, stoma wipes and pink tape to help with the flange i havent had a leak in months but have to change every day 1/2 sometimes i may get two days but only because i'm lazy lol. good luck to everyone
imtheone
to Spade what do you men by ur bowel fell out????
imtheone
mean
spade
May 04, 2012 12:41 pm
Good Morning Imtheone...you have to bare with me not sure yet how to get around system to talk.but you ask me what I mean by my bowel fell out.Well want to change bag and my large bowel what is left of it was in the bag fell out about 6 six inches had to go to ER to get back in, they called it prolapse. Needless to say this really throw me. As I just got home from having half my lung remove, and 2 months prior is when I had the bowel surgery, so I wasn't ready for this one at all. They had to do surgery again to put it back in. So needless to say I am sooo afraid this could happen again. This time the surgeon put meshing in. Just wonder if anyone else had this problem. I was on steriods for 40 yrs, so my muscle aren't what they should be. Just don't know? Am back at work(had to-need insurance get very tired) but I notice the bowel does pop out more than it had 2 months ago.
tim1948
May 06, 2012 6:30 pm
Hey guys...I hear a lot of talk about hernia repair. I have had a hernia, just about from the start. Besides the unsightly bulge, it really does not bother me. What happens when you guys have had to have it repaired?
skidder
May 07, 2012 1:59 pm
I am a 41 yr ileostomy and in 2008 had a hernia repair. The hernia showed itself at about the 4 o'clock position of the stoma. The GI Surgeons trid doing a laparoscopic but due to 41 yrs of adhesions, the had to do the full Monty! They reinforced the wall of the intestine with mesh, zipped me back up (I had them install a zipper this time for quicker access in the future, if needed!). Prior to surgery, I too had pain, tenderness, purple and gray skin/bulge around ostomy. All that was taken care of with the surgery. I use a two piece ConvaTec Durahesive Naturfit Wafer with the flange in the center(all one piece, and then the pouch with tail end closure is also ConvaTec Opaque Pouch. I change the wafer every 7-10 days...the skin around the stoma starts to itch a tad bit as a signal to me 'Mary' needs new wafer! I cannot imagine having to change daily or several times daily. I wish for you a quick and forever lasting remedy for that. The pouch I use is also ConvaTec tail closure opaque pouch. After emptying, I rinse by pouring paper cup of water in pouch, drying, clipping it closed and I fold it a time or two so it's not long enough to hang below the pant leg of the panty line. Then I'm good til another poop and then I repeat. The pouch lasts about two-three weeks and because with an ileo I have to poop every two hrs or in that time frame, I never have an odor. I am in that respect with my equipment, blessed. You take care.
jenepooh
May 07, 2012 5:49 pm
Hernia stories... ahhhhh what fun... not. lol I have had to many repairs to count. :( At any rate, b4life, I'm glad to know that you've found the supplies that work for you. I've had to do the same, switching back and forth til I found something that worked for me. :) Best of luck to you, bud. :D
b 4 life
May 31, 2012 10:01 am
I went to see my stoma nurse yesterday cos im a bit sore under flange and asked to try a 1 piece got a coloplast 14807 i wanted to try a 1 piece cos i was a bit conshush about the ring showing. and a lot of my leaks happen when the bag unclips. the new bags ok i dont feel quite as fresh and seems to be a bit smaller so dosnt hold as much the nurse said change the whole apliance daily is this nessercery?ps im off to spain tonight woopwoop iwill try to get some new pics up.
imtheone
May 31, 2012 4:43 pm
@ b 4 life , there's a new bag out by coloplast that i swear by it's # 15696. i have had alot of problems over the years i have tryed everything for me coloplast is the Only product i will use it has to be convex cut to fit so u get the proper fit my theres alot to what i do and it doesnt take to long i also use pink tape just for piece of mind you can get FREE samples online at coloplast.com and go to free samples i got mine in three days , i use to have to change my bag every one to one and a half days it was a nitemare leaks - pain - bleeding u can only imagine afraid t go out because of the problems , my stoma nurse changed my bag one day and before i go home it was all over me and i'm talking a 20 min drive and this was the nurse that changed it i do it myself now and it's been alot of experimenting over the last two + years but i havent had a leak in months and no more blood or pain and i have been getting 5+ days out of it just use deoderant everyday that coloplast also have for sample when you order the bags it's great fresh smell with no bag odor. this new product changed my life
Past Member
May 31, 2012 6:36 pm
Hi b4 i ues one piece bag i mostly change it every day but ues to have 2piece bag and that kept coming off.I do find the one piece stays on much better and i can keep it on two days ,but i feel fresher changing it daily,my skin is in top condition . I dont have many leaks . I ues Dansac convect the hadhesive is great sticks very well,ive not really looked back since going over to a one piece .Have a great holiday tc ambies..
b 4 life
May 31, 2012 7:20 pm
thanks imtheone ill look into it. thanks ambies it dos feel nice to to put on a fresh pouch. sun sea and stoma here i come lol.
Past Member
May 31, 2012 7:40 pm
Just enjoy b4 lol im going away in sept i carnt wait .lol tc ambies ..
imtheone
Jun 01, 2012 12:32 am
@ b4 and ambies the pouch deodorant work great coloplast has a new one out , i used to change everyday because i had to but finding these coloplast # 15696 or 15695 pouches let me go longer with NO problems and you can shower everyday i also use pink tape it's water proof it took me two + years to get to this point and im loving life again , good luck with everything and have fun again, going swimmimg next week
mooza
Jun 02, 2012 12:45 pm
My hernia was repaired but 3 months on somthing besides 2 falls seems to be wrong its back to burning and pain UGH , but as usual its winter in melbourne our surgeons leave the bloody winter and got to the States or europe feel like im in a pickle and yes i need a scan but im a bit pissy bout appointments at the moment sick of em UGH :(