Medications and Strategies for Managing Stoma Output

Replies
Views
ronjeff
Jul 25, 2018 12:21 pm

what meds do you take for output control?  I take lomitol and a couple of Imodium daily.  If not my output goes on all day on many days. I also take probiotic.

also do any of you have outbursts of loose and large quantity stools every 4/5 days?  If so, could it be from foods .....or my above mentioned medication blocking release of bad bacteria until it goes wild?

i have permanent stoma.  Had a foot or so removed three years ago

thanks

kbd
Jul 25, 2018 10:06 pm

I think you are supposed to have a somewhat continual output with an iliostomy. You can thinken the output by eating rice, bananas, and other foods. I would be very careful about taking immodium as they can dry you out, and staying well hydrated is important.

Do you have a colostomy or iliostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Jul 25, 2018 11:18 pm

what does lomitol and probiotics do? 

ronjeff
Jul 26, 2018 2:48 am

Lomotil slows movements.  Probiotic helps prevent bacteria from lodging in stomach.

Rebawhite42
Jul 27, 2018 6:50 am

My GI doc said lomotil works on the colon, which is ineffective if you’ve had your colon removed. I was put on WelChol. This thickens stool via bile salt binding. 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play