Can I Resume a Regular Diet Post-Ileostomy?

Replies
Views
oldfart1946
Sep 13, 2024 3:14 pm

Need some real-life info. 16+ weeks after ileostomy. Can I go back to a regular diet (with caution), including veggies, lentils, salad, and tomatoes? I'm sure real people have real-life answers and experiences. Thanks.

Nini4
Sep 13, 2024 5:55 pm

I was told at 8 weeks I could eat whatever I wanted. I was not quite that ambitious, but by the time I was post op where you are now, I was fine. Of course, the famous or infamous mantra is everyone is different.  I have a colostomy which is different from you as well. 

The best thing to do is to try small amounts and make sure you drink a lot of fluids. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

oldfart1946
Sep 13, 2024 6:28 pm
Reply to Nini4

TY, my surgeon said I can eat everything. Just be careful with thick-skinned foods. I'll stay away from them. Guess it's time to take a shot.

Mysterious Mose
Sep 13, 2024 7:19 pm

Be careful with insoluble fiber, such as legumes and whole kernel corn. Also nuts. A lot depends on the condition of your small bowel and ileum. If you are like me and have the entire small bowel with no lesions, you may be able to eat most anything. Experimentation with small amounts is advised. Personally, I stay away from legumes and whole kernel corn. I also have given up on salads and am on a mostly carnivore diet. But, I do eat a lot of root crops. I also eat a lot of fruit, but stay away from unpeeled apples and overly fibrous stuff like pineapple and mango. I do mostly berries in my morning smoothies. Bananas are good for flow, but I have issues when getting too much potassium.

Anyway, listen to the turtle. Slow and steady wins the taste. :-)

Daniel

infinitycastle52777
Sep 13, 2024 7:33 pm

The rule I follow is to peel things like potatoes, zucchini, apples, etc. Try small amounts of things. Look out for popcorn, corn in general, and things like nuts. Look out for seeds. When in doubt, pulverize things in your blender or food processor. I have more limits than most, so maybe I'm not a good example to follow. I have a very sensitive ostomy. I ate mango (peeled) and I got a small blockage. Then in the morning, my ostomy exploded out the mango. Oh yeah, that reminds me, chew chew chew. That is so important.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
TerryLT
Sep 13, 2024 9:04 pm

One of the reasons that everyone is different is that we all became ostomates for different reasons.  If you had multiple previous surgeries, and/or suffered from crohn's or ulcerative colitis, you could have lesions and/or scar tissue that can cause blockages.  Otherwise, you may well be able to eat pretty much anything, but as others have said, proceed cautiously and slowly.  I wouldn't assume anything and it would be a drag to deprive yourself of certain foods you really like needlessly, so try everything, but in small amounts, chewing really well, and drinking lots of fluids. There are certain foods that are really fibrous, like pineapple, which I still eat, but I just spit out the part I can't chew well enough.

Terry

warrior
Sep 13, 2024 9:30 pm

All good advice. We've all been there, done it, suffered from it, and, like beachboy, still eat the foods on the no-no list because they are so good! Chew, chew, chew... another mantra we abide by.

Hey, we are neighbors, friend.

Beth22
Sep 14, 2024 12:44 am

My advice is to wait a bit longer before you start eating stuff like that and get your ostomy used to eating more solid, easily digestible foods. Things work a bit differently now with an ileo. And those foods you asked about, some can eat and some can't; everyone is different. But seeds, nuts, and hard-to-digest foods, like raw veggies or anything with skin on it, won't break down and are told to be avoided. I know some do. Just saying, take it slow and easy and try one thing at a time. Chew chew chew chew chew chew lol and chew some more. If you cramp, then back off.

Beachboy
Sep 14, 2024 5:36 am

I had to give up cashews. My poor colostomy stoma blows up like a mushroom. I can eat small amounts of peanuts and walnuts. Also, a little popcorn at the movies. Surprisingly, beans don't cause me too much grief. Which is great... can't have a taco without rice and refried beans. Sneak in some hot sauce too.

But like we all say...

Chew, chew, chew. Then chew, chew, chew some more. Swish it around, chomp it down. When your jaws are tight, you've done it right.

AlexT
Sep 14, 2024 9:54 am

These others members are way too complicated, I just eat whatever and avoid too much of a few things. Go enjoy some food, just start with small amounts and your body will tell you yes or no. 

Morning glory
Sep 14, 2024 1:12 pm

I agree with  the mantra chew, chew, chew; and chew some more. I think  you should  introduce one food at a time and see how your body handles it. What you can handle may not work for others.