Pressure Sores Under Colostomy Bag - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
j3ll8s3ll898
May 16, 2024 11:37 pm

Hi everyone!

Login to see image

In the last few days, I've noticed when I've been changing my bag that there seem to be two pressure sores appearing underneath where the adhesive sits. I've had my stoma for two years, and I still feel like I'm learning something new every day 🥴. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

I use Sensura Mio Concave colostomy bags because my stoma is skin level and doesn't really stick out much. I managed to get ahold of my stoma nurses today, but they couldn't really do much other than tell me to contact the GP as there's pus present. I've been on a liquid diet as a rest period for my ongoing flare, so when changing the bag, it's been pretty hard to predict output in between changes. 

ron in mich
May 17, 2024 12:23 pm

Hi there, when I get a sore spot, I usually take some ostomy paste on a Q-tip and spread it on the sore spot and let it dry before I put the wafer on.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
May 17, 2024 2:11 pm

I really don't get why people change their whole routine/diet to try and fix something. 🤷‍♂️ If you change what you're doing, your output completely changes too. You have a colostomy, you don't have continual output like an ileostomy can have. Take the bag off, clean the area well, let it air out as long as you can, put new stuff on. If you're still having skin issues, it may be from a reaction to the adhesive and not have anything to do with your output.

j3ll8s3ll898
May 17, 2024 2:33 pm
Reply to AlexT

I had no choice but to start on the liquid diet! Trust me, I really didn't want to go on it, but it was either that or more surgery. I'm only 25, and I really am trying my hardest to avoid more surgery. I've been on 30mg Rinvoq since last November, and not even that has helped, so that shows how severe I am right now. I've already had 80cm removed 2 years ago, and my surgeon is nervous at the thought of me having more this early on. I came on this forum for support, not to be slated for my choice on what I have been doing.

When you are in remission, yes, colostomies are slower with output, but when you're in a severe flare-up, it is just as fast as an ileostomy.

j3ll8s3ll898
May 17, 2024 2:36 pm
Reply to ron in mich

Thanks for your help

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Beth22
May 17, 2024 3:43 pm

The important thing is to contact your surgeon for the sores since there is pus present. You don't want to delay in doing that as it will get worse, the pus and the sores. Maybe the convex is giving you the pressure sores. I know I have major issues when I have tried convexity. Just a thought. But do call your doctor.

Beachboy
May 17, 2024 4:10 pm

Hello,

Consult an ostomy nurse and doctor. You don't want the sores to become worse. The presence of pus indicates infection. Are you wearing a support belt? If so, maybe it's too tight.

As Beth pointed out, convex wafers put downward pressure around the stoma and can induce irritation and damage skin.

Definitely seek professional medical help.

AlexT
May 17, 2024 6:14 pm
Reply to j3ll8s3ll898

Oh, I thought you chose to go on liquids because of the sores, my bad. 😬

AlexT
May 17, 2024 6:16 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Yep, that's why I only wore them a few times. I'd literally have a bruise around my stoma, and it would be painful to bend.

ron in mich
May 18, 2024 12:28 pm

Hi Scotland, I know we're all different and what works for one is not the same for others, but when I was having a flare-up, I was put on a bland diet: pasta with no sauce, potatoes with no gravy, oatmeal with no sugar, baked chicken, and that seemed to help along with the meds which I have since stopped taking.

aTraveler
May 20, 2024 5:40 pm
Reply to ron in mich

That truly is a bland diet. What type of flair is it?

ron in mich
May 21, 2024 12:16 pm
Reply to aTraveler

Hi traveler, it was a Crohn's disease flare-up.