Facing My Upcoming Colon Reversal Surgery

Replies
Views
Rodr24
Sep 14, 2024 2:33 pm

I'm beside myself with excitement and anticipation. And I have a whole new level of respect for my digestive system.

My first colon resection was emergency surgery. I was sitting at home in major pain when the fever started, after a few hours I drove to the ER to learn that one of my diverticuli had burst. I lost about 8" with that one, but was successfully reconnected.

My second colon resection was caused by a bowel blockage via scar tissue from the first resection, and required an emergency flight in an air ambulance to San Jose, Costa Rica. (We were living there at the time.) This one lost me another 8 or 10" and got me my temporary colostomy to allow my colon to heal. 

Since April 2024, I've had to learn so many things about the care and feeding of my stoma. I've had leaks (home, work, and even in bed once), I've learned which products work best for me, and I've gotten some great guidance from the amazing people on MaO. Words are insufficient to convey my gratitude both that this forum exists in the first place, and that there are so many great folks happy to share their knowledge and words of encouragement. With your help, I've made it to within a few days of my reversal date!

I'm anxious to be reconnected, and I do know that there will be a whole new set of challenges as I heal.

Most importantly, I will never again take my digestive system for granted.

My sincere thanks to all for all that you so freely give in this forum! 

warrior
Sep 14, 2024 2:39 pm

Good luck, dude. You got this.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Morning glory
Sep 14, 2024 4:59 pm

Happy  for you Rod. Wishing  you the best. Let us know how you are feeling  after your successful  surgery. 

Mysterious Mose
Sep 14, 2024 5:10 pm

We're pullin' for you, Rod. To paraphrase Louisa May Alcott, be not afraid of storms, for you are learning how to sail your ship.

Daniel

Newhere
Sep 14, 2024 10:41 pm

Good luck next week with the surgery, see you on the other side.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Axl
Sep 15, 2024 12:14 pm

I hope you get all you wish for with a quick recovery 👍

ron in mich
Sep 15, 2024 1:45 pm

Hi Rod good luck with surgery and recovery, good attitude goes a long way in healing.

Marjatta
Sep 16, 2024 3:00 pm

Congrats, Rod!! Keep us posted as to how things go once you're back home and on the mend. We're all rooting for you!

M

xo

DexieB
Sep 16, 2024 4:34 pm
Reply to Marjatta

Congrats Rod!  You got this!