having both an ileostomy and a feeding tube

Replies
Views
Psmith
Sep 17, 2024 10:19 pm

I have both an ileostomy and a feeding tube. This presents some problems in weaning off the feeding tube.

Is there anyone else who has had both and would care to talk about their experience?

warrior
Sep 17, 2024 10:33 pm

Where is yur feeding tube located.? Mine was on left side abt 20 yrs ago.for 7 weeks... My ileo is just 8 yrs old is on the right side.  What are your issues? 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Psmith
Sep 18, 2024 12:44 am
Reply to warrior

Since February of this year, I have had a feeding tube on the left side and ostomy pouch on the right side. The problem is that apparently my body has become so accustomed to the formula in the feeding tube that it prefers the formula over the food that I give it by mouth. In fact, the mouth food seems to be passed right through without being digested. At least that’s how it appears to me. So what will happen if I start to decrease the formula? Will the body finally make use of the mouth food, or will I just lose weight!  I’m still waiting for the dietitian to get back to me about this situation.

MBT
Sep 18, 2024 1:15 am
Reply to Psmith

It is typical for some foods to look undigested coming from an ileostomy on a normal day. Tube feeding can tend to have a laxative effect and increase bowel motility. Passing actual food through the intestines helps to reduce shrinkage of the villi, which are the tiny hair-like structures of the small intestine responsible for absorbing nutrients. Hopefully, your dietician can take a look at your plan.

warrior
Sep 18, 2024 1:27 am
Reply to Psmith

You are under Dr's orders to ween of the formula? Or is this something u wanna do? Yourself?.

With my feeding tube I could NOT eat anything solid at all. I had an esophageal stricture causing me to choke on even a corn kernal.. until they stretched that area in my throat, the feeding tube allow liquids like ensure to be digested.

I had no ileo then. 

I'm glad u can est by mouth. It seems u shud be weened off that tube. But again Dr's orders ?  I hated my tube. It sometimes popped out and had to be manually reinserted.. 

Yea it was not stiched . Held in by tape. 

With an ileo food will pass quickly so u gotta eat bulking food if u can. To slow process. Ppl also use some medicine.

I eat bananas, mashmellows..and I'm good for bulking. 

I'm looking into a dietitian too but was told she isn't  ostomy educated. Big deal she has certificates and her master's. 

Duh.

Probably be a waste of time. 

But u gotta follow orders. The tube will be coming out..and u will be right as rain eating a normal diet hopefully.  U do have to eat a bit differently with an ileo.. and drink alot to stay hydrated.  Wait and see what yur dietitian says. Ask questions. Get answers.  I'd be interested in them if u relay via posting them. 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
warrior
Sep 18, 2024 2:38 pm

24 hrs later...heyho...!!! Just spoke to my blue cross blue shield health case manager..actually a dietitian..and no surprise she can't help me..so she will send a list of providers who can. 

And I will give them a shout.

For me it's abt hydration cause water alone ain't cutting it..

Then there's sugar and sodium worries too.  Been hospitalized for dehydration twice this year. No fun.  Film at 11. 😀

Rose Bud 🌹
Sep 19, 2024 2:49 am
Reply to Psmith

I kinda had what you have..Except I had to go on TPN for a little over a year.Every attempt tring to get it in the right position failed so this was the only option they had left for me. Once I got to enough calories on my own they took it out ..and from there I did loose weight...Certain thing do pass threw really fast for me and watery and lack of nutrition was also a problem .I have a ileostomy so that makes a difference too. One thing I would say is drink plenty of fuilds to keep ur kidneys healthy....and what finally worked for me was going on a high protein diet ...NOW with that being said not knowing how ur over all health is like ..ask the dietician what u should start off at....I was at 40 to 60 grms and that gave me back muscle mass with in 4 to 6mths which also helped kick start my kidneys back to normal ( normal low stage 2CKD) from stage 3B .And now am at a 70 to 100 gms per my kidney speaclist .The most frustrating thing was i was told eat what my stomache could tolerate in the beginning ....add in different things slowly and see ...After 2 yrs I eat what I want and learned for the most part what will come out fast and what will take time.  Even popcorn,lettuce, and mushrooms and some foods they say will /could cause a blockage ...that I would slowly see if you can pass them ok...if you have further questions I'd be happy to help with what I can...just message me if needed..especially if it gets too frustrating in the beginning. 

Rose Bud 🌹
Sep 19, 2024 3:08 am
Reply to warrior

Warrior.....are you diabetic by chance? (only asking because of the sugar issue) I Had dehydration problems and messed my kidneys up and they had to give me IV fuilds once a week .I've done gatorade...sugar free drinks..( body amour) ....milk (almound)...lemon water. My dietician couldn't help me either ..my Kidney doctor got the ball rolling with the IV treatments and did the test for the sodium..so from there I only asked the dietician on so called healthier drink options instead of just water...I haven't done the drip drop at one point I asked but was told they weren't sure if my body could handel it or not...Idk if this will help you at all ..but your GP should beable to help you. 😊