Revel "It's In The Bag" Review: Pros and Cons

Replies
Views
B@tLady
Oct 12, 2024 6:04 pm

Someone here had good things to say about this pouch lube/deodorant so I ordered. It works as advertised with easy emptying and reduced odor. However: I found the product oozed out of my bag filter (sensura mio convex) and left oily stains on the pouch cover and on my clothes. I tried using filter covers but the oil of the product destroyed the adhesive. Fortunately, the company's customer service is excellent and I was given a full refund very quickly. I'll tuck my nearly new supply into a donation box and hope someone can make use of it. 

Beachboy
Oct 12, 2024 9:06 pm

Thanks for posting your experience.  I use Hollister deodorizer lube.  Works well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Oct 12, 2024 10:02 pm

That positive post you are referring to had additional negative comments from users.

I believe AlexT. mentioned that after using that deodorizer, his bag too suffered the same fate.

I don't think there were many positive comments on that

thread. Hmm...🫢

M-9... Works for me.

AlexT
Oct 13, 2024 12:49 am
Reply to warrior

Within a day of using it, I could smell output, which was either the lubricant eating my ring/wafer (Hollister products) or messing with the filter; I don't know which. 🤷‍♂️ Revel is refunding my money. I have basically 2 full bottles, 1 of each flavor, if anyone wants to risk, I mean try it. 😁 Let me know...

warrior
Oct 13, 2024 12:57 am
Reply to AlexT

Good sales pitch. Nice recovery. ☺️

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
AlexT
Oct 13, 2024 1:02 am
Reply to warrior

😁

B@tLady
Oct 13, 2024 12:10 pm
Reply to warrior

I should have given more time to see others' experience before jumping on the order button. I'm back to my Brava product. It does the job but needs to be reapplied with every empty, which the Revel product did not. Having a busy ileostomy, I empty six or more times each day. I typically run out of it before Medicare will permit a reorder, and I fill in the gap with an Amazon buy. I'm always looking to pinch a penny if anyone has a good DIY they want to share.

B@tLady
Oct 13, 2024 12:19 pm
Reply to AlexT

Alex, it seems logical that soybean oil and adhesive is a risky mix. I hadn't thought of it until after, but I use oil like that to take off adhesive residue from tapes and bandaids 🤦🏻‍♀️ (The truth about the Coloplast Sensura filter is that, despite all their hype about its design, it does NOT do the job. Once output hits it, game over; balloon time!)

warrior
Oct 13, 2024 2:25 pm
Reply to B@tLady

That's OK. We are somewhat programmed to "jump the gun." We want that instant answer without pause.

This place is like the Monark Notes of ostomy living. Or Consumer Reports. Everyone is test driving their equipment.

Everyone comments on it for others' benefit. No B.S. Maybe a few use a sales pitch because they are very happy with the product.

But... we have a few mantras here.

One of the many mantras is - "It works for me, may not work for you."

Another is, "No two people are the same with illness, or complications."

I'd like to add about filters? The consensus is they don't work.

Doesn't matter the brand. It's been a misconception, and often a fabricated sales pitch.

I use the Sensura Mio click only because of the 5 corners. Not the filter. Mechanically speaking, 5 work better than four. An amazing concept. Oops, was that a sales pitch? 😆😅🤣😂 Sorry.

AlexT
Oct 13, 2024 2:56 pm
Reply to B@tLady

Doesn’t matter the brand, all bags with filters have that issue once output gets to them or we use water to rinse the bag out. 

Diverticulitissucks!
Oct 14, 2024 11:11 am

I've had very good luck with Revel "it's in the bag"...sorry some of my osteomates had problems!

aTraveler
Oct 15, 2024 2:35 pm

It's always a good idea to try a free sample before purchasing. I have tried lots of products but none w/o a free sample. Oil-based lubricants can be tricky to use —normally requiring only a few drops. If it is oozing out of the filter then it's probably too much, no matter what the instructions say.

aTraveler
Oct 15, 2024 2:40 pm
Reply to warrior

I am familiar with  M-9 as a deodorizer but not as a lubricant. Do you also use it as a lubricant?

warrior
Oct 15, 2024 3:54 pm
Reply to aTraveler

Hi.  No .. I just use m9 when I need to.. otherwise water does a good job prior to emptying it. 

I'm OK doing this.  Cheap. Effective. Cleans. Bag.  

maryorwitz
Oct 15, 2024 5:19 pm
Reply to B@tLady

I use olive oil, Convatec esenta lubricating deodorant and a product to thicken output as needed called smelleze. It is also a deodorizer. Pretty much these products help but I swear I always smell my output. I also use a handheld bidet to rinse out as much output as I can. Saves on toilet paper too!!

aTraveler
Oct 16, 2024 9:13 am
Reply to B@tLady

Inexpensive odor control:

Ostomy Odor
•    Ostomy odor is created by bacteria breaking down certain foods, turning it into odorous waste and also sometimes creating odorous gases. This gas, fills the pouch with air that must be released to prevent leaks and/or blowouts.  Effluent that is contained in an appliance for  several hours builds up bacteria and is smelly when emptying.

Hydrogen Peroxide as Deodorizer  
•    An inexpensive odor Eliminator is adding 10 – 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide to your pouch. If the reduction in odor is not enough use 30 ml.
•    Hydrogen peroxide has limited antibacterial effects — while hydrogen peroxide isn’t always effective as antibacterial agent, it inhibits reproduction of bacteria.  
•    When injected into water, hydrogen peroxide releases a large amount of dissolved oxygen which has a strong oxidizing effect, destroying odors.  
•    This means hydrogen peroxide is more effective with liquid or semi-liquid output.
•    It is reported that hydrogen peroxide is decomposed before absorption in the intestine. Solutions of hydrogen peroxide displays poor penetration when applied to tissue.

Aspirin as Deodorizer
•    Aspirin has been used historically for odor control; however, the stool must be liquid for aspirin to be effective. Also, if the aspirin comes in contact with the stoma, it may irritate the stoma.
•    Just cut an aspirin tablet in half and place half in bottom of pouch. Some need two halves and others with a very thick stool need to dissolve an aspirin tablet in an ounce or two of water.

Lavender Essential Oil as Deodorizer  
•    An inexpensive odor eliminator, for colostomies, is applying 10 drops of lavender essential oil into your pouch during colostomy bag exchange and spreading the oil around the entire inner surface of the pouch.  
•    For many years, lavender essential oil has been used for  its antibacterial properties.  

Note: Pop into your pouch a few peppermint altoids, many ostomates say they work really well.