Stoma changes size?

Replies
Views
rebrur2
Oct 17, 2024 11:52 pm

I am about 3 months post temporary ileostomy placement. When my stoma size leveled out, it was on the smaller side, just barely above skin level, so I was instructed to use convex appliances. Over the past 2 or 3 weeks, I have noticed my stoma has increased in size by quite a bit.  It also sticks out more than usual. I emailed my surgeon who said as long as it doesn't change color, or cause pain it is likely okay and "may" be due to my parastomal hernia getting slightly worse. He wants me to have a followup with an ostomy nurse but am in limbo with my referral.  Anyone had this issue?

aTraveler
Oct 18, 2024 12:04 am

Are you sure it is permanent? It may not stay that size if you stop using the convex barrier. Stop using the convex barrier , if you haven't already, and see what happens to the stoma. The convex barrier will cause the stoma to change.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

rebrur2
Oct 18, 2024 1:33 am
Reply to aTraveler

I actually did try a flat barrier the first day I noticed it and my stoma flattened back out and I had to change it after one day because it leaked under the barrier.

warrior
Oct 18, 2024 2:40 am

Well just speaking abt it's morphing from small to large..and back again..it acts like it's breathing to me.

Removing the bag allows it to do so. Nah.. that can't be..just saying it might be possible.

Organs do that. Not sure its due to a hernia.  Can't help there. Stoma nurse can advise but I think the thing is just exercising. Somewhat normal activity.  

rebrur2
Oct 18, 2024 3:51 am
Reply to warrior

I kinda wonder sometimes if it is a partial blockage but it hasn't gone back down this time.

The funny thing is that I have been more active than usual the past few weeks. I am hoping that isn't the issue. I am student teaching until December and can't miss days. 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Bill
Oct 18, 2024 7:32 am

Hello rebrur2.
What you are describing sounds very familiar to me. However, it has not caused me any problems and in fact has resolved one issue that I had with a blockage just inside the stoma. When it 'prolapsed', this blockage/hernia moved to the outside rather than the inside, which was a definite advantage. Mine does retreat when I wash it with a flannel and soap in the bath, but it  resumes the protruded  position once I get out and become active again. I think your surgeon is probably right with his/her advice.
Best wishes

Bill