Ostomy bag recommendations

Replies
Views
Flowills
Oct 20, 2024 1:00 pm

I am in need of recommendations on the best ostomy bags to use , I am currently using the sensura mio convex system which I like except that when I have output it always gets sucked up in the pre filter and when that happens it loses its effectiveness, (ballooning odor etc) I started out with Hollister see through no filter bag though it worked ok I didn’t like the balloon effect when I pass gas so any recommendations would be appreciated I have a colostomy by the way 

eefyjig
Oct 20, 2024 1:20 pm

I have an ileostomy, don't know about colostomies, but I use Hollister. Their bags are longer than most so there's plenty of room for waste before it reaches the filter. I use their velcro closing opaque bag with a filter and peekaboo window - #8962.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Oct 20, 2024 2:06 pm

I am an ileo..and use the mio click u speak of..

Pls explain the suck up feature you are experiencing?  

As for the filter in ANY bag . The consensus is they don't work bc wetness destroys them.   I had ballooning when I began my journey back in 2016.

It's what u eat that gives u gas and causes ballooning. Remember the bag is an extension or a place replacing yur colon.  If u ate something that disagreed with you, ..u would pass gas..fart.  it has an escape.  The bag even with that defect or functioning?  filter

holds that gas.  Can't escape.  Yur diet will effect yur bag. 

Others here will chime with colostomies that may suffer same fate and agree. 

The mio for me works well. But each member has their own thing.  

U just may wanna curb what u eat causing the gas. 

xxxltd
Oct 20, 2024 4:08 pm

I have used Convetec Natura two piece system with akin cohesive seal for over a year with no leaks. I change it twice a week at low flow time ( 7:00 a.m.) takes about 15 minutes and I am off to greet the day. Terry

Ziploc
Oct 20, 2024 4:20 pm

Same issue. I switch back and forth between convetec esteem body and the mio. Try to push output down and away from filters. 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Kas
Oct 20, 2024 6:42 pm

Colostomy here.

i use Hollister and NO filters.  I do use the Osto EZ vent, which is an easy way to discreetly let the gas out.  The trick with them is that you have to apply them at least 24 hours before you’re gonna use the bag so that they stay stuck.  I usually put them on all the bags right away when I get a new shipment.

aTraveler
Oct 20, 2024 7:02 pm

I, too, use the sensura mio convex and I have not had the problem you mentioned. I also have a colostomy. If I don't cover up the filter I experience pancaking not ballooning. I use a lubricant/deodorant and when I stand up the effluent slides to the bottom of the pouch. The pancaking occurs because the filter is removing all the air/gas from the pouch. Most of the time I cover the filter with one of the provided stickers and this can cause ballooning if I have much gas — I prefer this setup because it prevents pancaking. I can control the ballooning by dietary choices. I also place a barrier ring arround my stoma on top of the barrier. I  change the barrier every 7 days.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 20, 2024 7:45 pm

I have a ileostomy and i use a holister 2 piece with a charcoal filter and as long as output goes down into the bag it's rarely a problem. I think colostomies are different because you have more solid output. It doesn't go down in the bag so easily and might stay at the top interfering with the filter. Try to use a lubricant to keep output going down into the bag. There are deodorizing lubricants that you can buy too that help with odor and help with keeping output sliding down in the bag instead of staying at the top and interfering with the filter. 

Missb
Oct 20, 2024 8:43 pm
Reply to eefyjig

but at night time when your laying kinda straight how do you keep it from pancaking than. I even bought a lift bed to slightly elevate me and that helps some but having the filter the plastic just sucks to my stom almost

Missb
Oct 20, 2024 8:46 pm
Reply to eefyjig

but at night time when your laying kinda straight how do you keep it from pancaking than. I even bought a lift bed to slightly elevate me and that helps some but having the filter the plastic just sucks to my stom almost. Than I get the soreness around my stoma from that also how do you take care of the redness and it hurting. I use stoma power and skin prep helps some but never goes away, any advice?

TerryLT
Oct 20, 2024 9:24 pm

As you have seen from the variety of answers you've gotten, not everyone agrees on what he best ostomy appliance is.  The real answer is that the best one is the one that works for you, and everyone is different.  It's important to try as many different products and combinations of products, as you can.  You will get ballooning from any pouch, even one with a filter, if the filter gets plugged up, which is pretty much all the time in my experience.  I use a pouch (Hollister) with a filter, but I cover it with a piece of tape, because I have had output leak through it, and because it doesn't work anyway due to getting clogged up.  Do you know how to 'burp' your pouch?  That's the easiest way to deal with gas.

Terry

aTraveler
Oct 20, 2024 11:55 pm
Reply to Missb

You have a few options you can try:

1) Try sleeping on your side

2) Place a sticker over the filter so all the  air/gas will not be removed from the pouch — with this approach you  will want to limit gas producing foods from your diet to minimize ballooning or try taking beano with your dinner9

3) Use a lubricating deodorant to make  it easier for effluent to slide to the bottom of the pouch — if you get up during the night and take a couple of steps gravity will pull the effluent down

4) Use a lubricating deodorant to make  it easier for effluent to slide to the bottom of the pouch — periodically during the night manually push the effluent down (I am not a big fan of this approach since it tends to push the stoma down making it easier to get effluent under the barrier)

As always, experiment and see what works for you.

Hisbiscus
Oct 21, 2024 12:45 am

If you are using a one piece convex mio, they do make them without the filter they just dont advertise it. Call them to get samples and the reference number for that bag.  

Other than that I switched back to convatec activelife convex one piece due to the leakage issues from the velcro at the bottom of the mio. You may not like the convatec due to a smaller outlet with a clip.  

Your best bet is stay away from bags with filters. At least this is what I have learned for myself in this journey. That big filter inside  the  mio .....what were they thinking when they designed that bag?

Axl
Oct 21, 2024 1:22 am

What works best for you is your answer. Get some samples and try them out but try to avoid seeking every brand out there, you'll drive yourself crazy, keep it simple.

Flowills
Oct 21, 2024 2:13 am

Thanks for all the responses guys I appreciate everyone of you I will definitely experiment to find the best one that works for me 

IGGIE
Oct 21, 2024 12:02 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Very well put Terry.   IGGIE

eefyjig
Oct 21, 2024 12:59 pm
Reply to Missb

I sleep on my right side and my ostomy is on the left. I wear my bag at an angle towards the right - it fits completely inside my underwear and anything that comes out at night flows right into the bag. No bag sticking to my stoma because the gas keeps the bag expanded.