Changing appliance routine -without barrier ring. No protective spray

Replies
Views
warrior
Oct 21, 2024 8:42 am

Those following my recent thread abt irritated stoma skin will know the logic behind this request. 

Eakin seals made a mess of the skin around the stoma.  A perfect red circle.  You heard of ring a round the collar? This be rind around the stoma. 🤦‍♂️😲.

I tried an appliance change  last

week going without protective

Spray or barrier ring.  To my surprise I got 1-2 days wear time.

Even with dry irritated stoma skin.

Yep. That a fact.

After seeing a stoma nurse, I went back to using the spray and seal.

Ain't working well at all.

It's  430 a.m. I replaced the appliance after a domeboro soak and air drying skin. Attached ring prior to spray with appliance. This was midnight. Got less than 3 hrs wear time and caught the epic blow out just in time.  Showered bagless over an hour now air drying area. Yes 330 it happened.

SOB! it's a Monday start, no one wants. 

Am waiting on supplies.

Question begs: 

Anyone gone barrier less- just using the flange no ring? And the belt attached to flange.??

This is bare essential I'm calling cause the barrier ring- now brava- has been used since Thursday which blew out that night. ( thank stoma nurse). 

And the flange alone- which 1 week ago - is proven to hold better with protective skin.

Sounds desperate? U bet yur front butt it is. 

Anyone in same boat? Mine is sinking. 🤬😡😖

xnine
Oct 21, 2024 9:58 am

I use a skin prep wipe and have not had bad skin since. I also use a ring though ( Salts with aloe).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Oct 21, 2024 10:08 am
Reply to xnine

Thanks...yea I would get to that eventually.  But start off with red inflamed skin..that had bled last week..and that's an entirely different issue to keep from leaks, breach..and blow outs. 

It's my understanding salts rings are not available in the U.S. 

Cera rings I'm told are the next choice.  Thank Xnine.  

Justbreathe
Oct 21, 2024 11:16 am

😥sorry you are suffering through this…wish I had something helpful to suggest.  
since we are all different we each resort to our own devices….I’ve had one bad rash early on that surrounded my entire stoma…the stoma nurse said to dust with stoma powder and tap on barrier wipe…it was gone very soon after doing this.  My other pain reliever is Vicks Vapo Rub…I have used it immediately surrounding my stoma raw peristomal  skin….stickability would be lost beyond that.  It does give temporary relief so if you could apply to irritated area and wait a bit then shower it may be helpful.  Maybe a ginormous gauze patch with center hole, some t.p. over  the stoma, a shower cup and a nap….good luck, hope you can find relief soon!  jb

AlexT
Oct 21, 2024 11:25 am

You’re waiting on supplies? Does that happen often?

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
warrior
Oct 21, 2024 11:41 am
Reply to AlexT

Yea..you worked with Kas on donations. Spoke to her and she's sending various barrier rings which I will compensate her for.

With edge park my supplier, it will take over a week for supplies. I don't have that time to wait.  Dunno if u ever suffered anything like this, but base plate- flange won't stick very long..leaking is problematic which insults the already irritated skin. Fun times.

Samantha Stevens-- Bewitched- wouldn't need to wait for supplies.   Wiggle her nose and poof.. it arrives. .

Not that lucky tho. 

warrior
Oct 21, 2024 12:01 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Thanks.. appreciate the fix idea. For others,  this info is helpful.

So who ever replies,  can keep suggestions in mind. FOOT NOTE IT !!

I recall w30bob mentioning domeboro soaks. Hibiscus also agreed they helped.  My nurse Friday said not to use it. 

It did help tho.so am on fence again using that.

Stoma powder is for after it heals to powder on later when healed.

Nurse suggested nyostate. 

She messed up on the script.

Stating " use as directed" won't fly with pharmacy. Denied it.

SOB! ..I  put the call in Friday after seeing that nurse. Still waiting on her reply.

2 days no treatment.!!! Warrior on warpath when I get that bitch on the phone. 

Shower felt good. 

Got up to pee at 330 and was peeing from another source. Underside of bag trickle down leg. A big WTF ? moment. 

Big surprise there. Just got lucky no bed sheets were involved in this breach. Whew. !!

Steph9810
Oct 21, 2024 12:45 pm
Reply to warrior

Try barrier strips on and around the stoma then put the wafer on top of the strips. No skin irritation and wafer lasts a full 7 days

warrior
Oct 21, 2024 1:13 pm
Reply to Steph9810

Thanks..that is interesting. U are talking about those c strip extenders placed on the skin which is highly red and inflamed to act as a guard?   Then follow suit with a barrier ring and flange with bag? 

In theory that sound like a decent alternative.  Those strips are highly adhesive too. 

Update on nurse who I just called.. apologized several times for not calling into pharmacy.

( yea that helps- thanks)

Now she will. 

I have one freakingflange plate left!!! Plenty of bags and brava seals. I told her this. Offered me supplies today .. thinking the mio flange is causing an issue when in the last 8 yrs using it, never had this issue before.

Then suggested hernia causing this. GTFO!    Grabbing at straws now. Fudge that.

Waiting on medicine. Going bagless while at home. Probably be home like this for awhile.  Captive to my stoma.

This is where George Carlins famous gig abt the ten words u cant say on T.V. start. 👍

Beth22
Oct 21, 2024 2:12 pm

Hey there . If you are better off not using a barrier ring tthen do so. You don't have to use a barrier ring or yes if you don't want to and if it's not working. I spent the first 2 years not using a barrier ring, just the wafer. You use what is right and what works for you.  Have you tried  marathon or 3m advanced skin protectant ?And edge doing what they are doing don't surprise me at all.

warrior
Oct 21, 2024 2:23 pm
Reply to Beth22

Trial and error Beth. Last week no barrier ring, just the flange worked for a day or two. Last night it blew at 330 this morning. I didn't use and protective spray. My skin just doesn't make  good use of it as oppose to not using it. 

I let it dry.

..but this blow out today puzzles me. It shud of held. The skin very tender now. Not bleeding but sore to touch.

Protective sprays I had issues with years ago. I stopped using them... skin was good then.

Didn't need them still believe that which might be stupid thinking now. 

Edge park is good to me. I didn't place any new orders with them yet. Waiting on rings from Kas.

Then..will proceed.  This is gunna be a huge time suck.  

Sunnyvale
Oct 21, 2024 3:30 pm

Over 20 years I have accumulated a great deal of extra everything. I would note that if you have enough time in advance many items can be ordered off of AliExpress from no name Chinese suppliers for a few bucks.

if you need a box of rings  can send you one. I was stuck on vacation almost 20 years ago overseas when flights shut down and it took me an extra week to get home. Someone helped me out. But I am across the country so it might take a while.

Justbreathe
Oct 21, 2024 5:06 pm
Reply to warrior

Just to clarify - Stoma powder is what cleared up a nasty rash I had…was not used  afterward…I never use it any more but have it on hand in case a rash shows it’s ugly bumpy face !!!  jb

TerryLT
Oct 21, 2024 8:48 pm

Sorry to hear you are going through this Warrior.  I had similar problems with peristomal skin, and it wasn't until I tried the Salts Aloe rings that it finally cleared up.  Maybe you U.S. ostomates need to start lobbying Salts to get access to their products.  It would be a huge market for them, so you might be successful.

Terry

LJames2019
Oct 21, 2024 9:47 pm

Hi Warrior, I use the Coloplast 1 pc convex, drainable bag - #16733.  We had tried using barrier rings in the hospital because my first couple of changes the skin was raw and weepy, but they weren't helping.  Now, I don't use a barrier ring, I just try to cut the hole to fit my stoma exactly.  My stoma nurse is a huge fan of 'less is more'.  I use SkinTac wipes as a barrier film - and blowdry it - right before I put on the pouch - Stoma nurse thinks this is unnecessary but she said it probably doesn't hurt either.  I was doing great for a few months but last week I developed a raw spot at the bottom of the stoma where it meets the skin (bag change on Wed morning.  I tried to use the stoma powder and crust it - one layer - then did my usual routine, it didn't work.  The sore didn't get worse but it didn't get any better. So, on Sunday morning's bag change I tried a double crusting layer but kept the rest of the routine the same.  I don't feel any soreness when I mess with my pouch so I am crossing fingers.

Nini4
Oct 21, 2024 11:26 pm

Hi Warrior,

I feel very fortunate in that I've been able to use just barrier wipes and my flange. I did have to change from a one piece to two piece and  from  Coloplast to Hollister because the adhesive from Coloplast bothered me. But other than that, I've been very lucky.

You've been through a lot, and I'm sorry to hear your issues are continuing.  I wish I had something to offer, only just good thoughts and hope things get better. 

warrior
Oct 21, 2024 11:53 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Hey jb..u got luckyusing it for the time needed.  I am looking at the bottle of stomahesive by convatec.  Directions ---are simple butt say nothing abt rash treatment. " compromised skin" must mean that.

They don't mention a protective spray after brushing off excessive powder ..huh? They do say fill the gap between stoma and barrier ring.

Stoma nurse said use this AFTER skin heals. She also said not to domeboro. 

We know warming up the seal and wafer help adhesion..yet I was not offered that at visit with nurse.

Cold installation is very risky. 

I'm find quite a bit of conflicting direction between our members and a nurse. Plus written directions on their products.

Whatever work requires trial and error. 

We all know Eakin seals are toxic to most ppl.. not all.

We know salt rings and Cera rings help better than other brands for irritated skin. 

Some ppl don't use a barrier ring which I can understand. Others require it. 

Pros and cons to everything. 

Conflict assured.  Thanks for answering. U got good skin. Got a good appliance.  

The few..the proud..the stomarines !

Hisbiscus
Oct 22, 2024 1:02 am

After the domboro soak wash it with soap and rinse well. The domboro residue may be causing issues with the seal.  I used to do the soak and then wash it real well after. Maybe try stopping the soaks and just use soap and water for a while. You know sometimes less might be better at least till you figure out what's going on. I say the eakin Started it though be cause you say it's a ring around the stoma. Just change daily for a while. We are all so different in how we react to.things ya know?

It really sucks when something sets off our skin like this. 

B@tLady
Oct 22, 2024 3:07 am
Reply to Justbreathe

Crusting with a skin prep wipe and stoma powder is the only thing that heals my occasional open spot. If it's very raw or very big, I'll do a triple application, starting and ending with the barrier wipe. Takes time to dry between, but very effective.

MsPriss
Oct 22, 2024 3:23 am

I do not use a ring, I have not had my stoma long though. 

When they sent me my first insurance order, they sent rings without even discussing it. I didn’t use them.

As mine has change, it now has a valley on one side.

Paste works, but it’s a mess to remove.

Convex bag alone works.

Flat bag requires paste or 1/2 ring (on the valley side).

Sometimes I use a convex bag, sometimes I use paste with it (I try to avoid it). Sometimes I use a flat bag with paste. Sometimes I use a flat bag with a convex Cera-ring. 

I’m considering going back to flat bags and using cera-rings instead of convex bags, I’m not sure. I do like them, but my insurance only covers 20 and I use closed one-piece bags and get 60 per month, so…

Lady A
Oct 22, 2024 8:05 am
Reply to Steph9810

Can you screenshot me a pic of the barrier strips?