Barrier strips

Replies
Views
Steph9810
Oct 21, 2024 12:43 pm

I know barrier strips are supposed to be used to add security to my illeostomy wafer but I have started putting the strip on my skin first then the wafer on top. This keeps my skin from any adhesive irrational and healthy looking. A must recommendation 

IGGIE
Oct 21, 2024 2:30 pm

G-Day Steph,   This sounds like a back to front method. If you are having problems with Adhesives then change your product instead of working in reverse. Regards IGGIE 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Missb
Oct 21, 2024 4:50 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Ok am I confused is there a difference between barrier rings and strips never seen them but I don’t look stuff up. I put a ring on than my waffer am I doing this right

AlexT
Oct 21, 2024 6:12 pm
Reply to Missb

Yes, there’s a difference and it sounds like you’re doing it right. 

AlexT
Oct 21, 2024 6:15 pm

If you’re putting barrier strips down first and then sticking your wafer on them, your whole wafer isn’t stuck to your skin, creating the possibility of leaking under it.  Also, barrier strips are adhesive too so I’m not getting how they protect your skin from adhesive. 🤷‍♂️

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
🇦🇺 Jo
Oct 22, 2024 12:26 am

I've done the same thing when I've had a bit of skin irritation from the tapes from the wafer, healed the skin really well and the wafer stayed in place just fine until the next change.  Probably too much information but have noticed since going through the "change" that my skin condition can be unpredictable, one of the joys of turning into an old crone I guess (that and the chin hairs that appear from nowhere I could seriously do without!) ~ just pass me my broomstick!🧙‍♀️🧹😅

I didn't want to try out a whole new appliance system when I knew that this would work (I used the UK brands, Salts and Welland barrier strips, some have aloe or manuka honey so are very gentle on the skin but still adhere well).  

warrior
Oct 22, 2024 12:52 am

Hmm. How do get a perfect seal completely around the stoma in donut fashion? 

This strips are super heavy duty adhesive which could also create worse irritated skin. 

There are 4 by 4 sheets available to protect yur skin. I saw something abt that.

Idk..creating a larger area to save a smaller one sounds ...practical but maybe .. counter productive due to more adhesive on the sheets to deal with.   Good topic

Might try the c strips if I figure out how to put a  " C" around a

small hole in one piece. 🤔