Bruised Skin Around Stoma with Unusual Symptoms

Replies
Views
Cnetter
May 01, 2012 7:35 am
The skin around my stoma is bruised (black/blue).  The stoma itself is red and healthy looking, it the skin around it that looks bad.  The bruise is a perfect circle around the stoma not just one little area. There is also a blister that has formed in one small area of the bruise.  I have contacted my ostomy nurse and she has never heard of this.  I also went to my family doctor and he is the that said it looked like a bruise.  If it is a bruise, why is it a circle all the way around the stoma. I measure my stoma each time that I change pouches. Can anyone help me?

Login to see image

violet-hummingbird
May 01, 2012 9:28 pm
It sounds like a haematoma , a bleed into the skin surrounding the stoma from a leaking /bruised blood vessel. If it is a haematoma don't worry too much about it as the skin should gradually settle back to normal over a few weeks after some changes that take it to green/blue , just like a resolving skin bruise. There is an increased risk of infection because there is a warm collection of blood, and germs nearby from faeces, so just make sure that the area doesnt become red and painful, and spread . If it does you will need to see your Doc for some antibiotics.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.