New to ileostomy

Replies
Views
toffee apple
Aug 15, 2012 7:28 pm
Had my ileostomy five months now, just begining to get my head around it.

I live near Lincoln and would love to chat and share experiences...........
gee07
Aug 15, 2012 9:15 pm
toffee apple,

Welcome to the site. Five months is not very long so you are doing well getting your self sorted with living with a stoma.

All people are different, some can move on at once while others take a bit longer.

I live in the Midlands and have an ileo., as well.

Gee07

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bodyrocker22
Aug 15, 2012 11:54 pm
Hey TA, five months is quite recent...I am sure your not even fully healed yet but it will come.

I've had mine for twenty years and some days it still feels new and strange!!  lol

Give it time and you will be surprized how you will adjust.  It is not the end of the world rather the beginning of a new one.  

Login to see image

On a personal note, my Mum comes from Nottingham which I believe is close to your neck of the woods.  

If you should have any pressing questions...please let's hear them because we are here to support one another.

God Bless

Paul
mimirubie
Aug 16, 2012 12:05 am
I think you guys are the greatest. Always there someone is to listen and help out. thank you so much.  It really does help . Gratitude

Login to see image

gutenberg
Aug 16, 2012 1:40 am
AWW shucks minirubie, we always try to help, you're special people, Ed

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
toffee apple
Aug 16, 2012 8:18 pm
Thanks all for replying , its good to know I.m not on my own. I am doing my best to stay positive .When i first had my bowel removed they made a pouch unfortunatley it leaked after a week causing all the problems that led to me being in hospital for nearly three months.I go back to Lincoln on Monday they want to see if it has repaired enough to try again . I,m so scared i'm having anasthetic so I'll be asleep when they look!!!I havent let them examine me since the ileostomy was done . No one has seen me without pants!!!!Its a good thing that  however bad things are if you look hard enough there is a funny side .my dad  has always said I'd laugh if my arsehole was on fire ...seems pretty ironic now.

Login to see image

gee07
Aug 16, 2012 10:54 pm
toffee apple,

Good luck for Monday, am sure it will be okay.So if you have healed, are you going to have another try at having a pouch made?

Yes, every one has to try and laugh about things every now and then or we'd all go mad.

Would be good to hear from you after your hospital visit on Monday to see how things went for you.

Gee07

Login to see image

gutenberg
Aug 16, 2012 11:25 pm
Hi toffee apple, just to wish you the best of luck and we'll be waiting, all your family here, so be sure to let us know how everything went, Ed

Login to see image

Past Member
Aug 20, 2012 7:59 pm
Hi Toffee apple i just like to say welcome to the site ,if theres anything we can help with, just call on us on here , its always a pleasure to try and give answers to questions tc ambies..
Boo
Aug 22, 2012 8:56 am
Hi Toffee Apple,

I too am new to all of this, I have a colostomy though, performed four weeks ago yesterday. It may, or may not be temporary as it depends how everything goes... So, I'm very new to it all and am very new to forums too. Lots to learn! Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I live in Norfolk, so not a million miles from you. So hope everything is going well for you now. Boo
garfish
Oct 29, 2012 11:29 pm
you look like a very strong woman. i've had my little friend for a little over a year. it takes a while to accept and try to figure out"WHY ME". just remember, it's a question of mind over matter. if you dont' mine it doesn't matter. hang in there gal, you'll be fine

take care

gary
heshootshescores
Feb 14, 2013 12:31 am
Hello there, I have an illeostomy for 13 years now. I find that sleeping is one of the more difficult things with having a bag. Its really more to do with not getting sleep deprivation because you can't get comfortable in bed or you wake up numerous times to go to the toilet during the night. I sleep with my head on a pillow and a pillow by my side for comfort. You can then roll on this extra pillow slightly because I've found as soon as you roll onto your stomach the bag will burst and you end up with a bed full of poo. no fun there! So its really just a way to sleep better and get a good nights rest.
Xerxes
Feb 14, 2013 12:55 am
He......,

Your name sounds like a hockey play by play. Anyway, I know what you are saying. To reduce getting up during the night you might try a high output appliance. I know that both Convatec and Hollister make these. As for sleeping itself I have conditioned myself to sleep on my side opposite the stoma (left for me) and position the appliance facing the same side. In this way, I usually get a comfortable seemingly complete sleep with no leaks. ( I have had leaks during the night but these were not do to my sleeping position). It has worked for me for 33 years now. Good luck.

X_
Primeboy
Feb 14, 2013 4:00 am

X, how about it sounds like a name out of a Shakespeare comedy? Heshootshescores could be the protagonist in Love's Labour's Lost or perhaps the antagonist in Taming of the Shrew. Anyway, high output appliances are the best solution measure for measure. I, too, have conditioned myself to sleep either on my back or on the side opposite the stoma. Having the ability to move to another safe position during sleep promotes restfulness and assures that any Mid-summer's night's dream won't be wet.  Readiness is all.  PB
Past Member
Feb 14, 2013 8:53 am
Hi Toffee Apple

many connections with Lincoln, being a "yellow belly" myself. Also have a pouch as well as a stoma, if I can help, or you just want to chat, get in touch.
christiesdad
Feb 14, 2013 3:34 pm
To quote Gute,

"Aw shucks mam"

It's kinda like riding a bicycle,"önce you learn how you never forget"

Kidding,  but hang in there you seem to have a good attitude about it.  AND it

doesnt go away,  but it does get better.
Xerxes
Feb 14, 2013 7:45 pm
PB,

"Measure for Measure", eh? Love how you weave the Bard into everything with such an aplomb. "Oh, what fools these mortals be". I guess we are just pucking around. Be well, BP.

X_
gutenberg
Feb 14, 2013 10:21 pm
Ya know what guys, sometimes I wish I could make up a story just to be able to read the replies, so just keep up the good works, we all need a laugh as often as possible. Even Shakespeare had a sense of humor and wasn't above dropping a good pun, and for those who say a pun is the lowest form of humor don't seem to be able to come up with one of their own, or steal one like I do. Ed

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

garfish
Feb 27, 2013 8:49 pm
every day and night is a long time. had mine 18 months. not many good nights of sleep