Seat Belt and Stoma Safety While Driving - Advice Needed

Replies
Views
lorgriffini683
Oct 14, 2024 7:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm finally feeling well enough to start driving again, but the seat belt goes right across my stoma. Do I need to worry about that? Should I use a guard or something for protection when driving?

Thanks,

Lori

warrior
Oct 14, 2024 7:32 pm

Most of us ileos have that problem. Not a big worry, no... unless it's really tight and uncomfortable for you.

For me, I don't bother wearing the seat belt, but if I had to wear it, there are stoma guards available you attach to the outside of your stoma. Sounds too freaky for me.

They make a seat belt clip too, like an iggie clip, to put some slack, very little slack, in the seat belt for more comfort.

Feels good getting out behind the wheel though, huh? Independence rocks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

blondedagmar1
Oct 14, 2024 7:37 pm
Reply to warrior

I put clothespins on my belt to keep it loose.

Rose Bud ๐ŸŒน
Oct 14, 2024 7:48 pm

Both ideas work... I just loosen mine on my stomach sometimes to make sure the output drops, but I've never really had a problem after 4 years. You'll find what works best for you... There are products you can buy... but I don't if I can make do... most ostomy things are overly priced; most you can make your own for way less.

warrior
Oct 14, 2024 7:49 pm
Reply to Rose Bud ๐ŸŒน

They allow you to drive in Wisconsin? ๐Ÿ˜

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Lady A
Oct 14, 2024 7:49 pm

I ordered this Seatbelt Pillow from Amazon. Works great!ย 

ย 

Login to see image

ย 

lorgriffini683
Oct 14, 2024 7:58 pm
Reply to warrior

Thanks for the info. We have to wear belts in Ireland, or it's a fine and penalty points on your license.

Yes, it feels great to finally feel like I can be independent again. I've eaten out now a couple of times, done some shopping, all in places close to home where we could park near the door, but definitely getting there.

lorgriffini683
Oct 14, 2024 7:59 pm
Reply to Lady A

That looks great. I'll look that up. Thanks a mill for the suggestion.

Rose Bud ๐ŸŒน
Oct 14, 2024 8:00 pm
Reply to warrior

Ummm, yeah, it's not all horses and buggies, cornfields, and tractors... though I do live in a small village of only 926 people, coming from a huge city after being sick. ๐Ÿ˜ฎโ€๐Ÿ’จ

Rose Bud ๐ŸŒน
Oct 14, 2024 8:03 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

We're supposed to wear seat belts here too!!! If we get pulled over, it's a ticket...but Warrior can't help it; he's a rebel...those darn Jerzey BoyZ...make their own rules...๐Ÿคญ

lorgriffini683
Oct 14, 2024 8:03 pm
Reply to Rose Bud ๐ŸŒน

Thanks for the info, I have noticed the price issue too especially the belts. I have the skinny holister ones that clip to the bag but I meet with my surgeon next week to discuss reversal so I'll hold off on that purchase till after that

Lady A
Oct 14, 2024 8:32 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

Then if you are still tender, you can also add the stoma cover.

warrior
Oct 14, 2024 8:34 pm
Reply to Rose Bud ๐ŸŒน

Oh, a village? You're one of those... wait for it...

Village People. ๐ŸŽถ

"Y... M... C... A..." ๐ŸŽต

warrior
Oct 14, 2024 8:37 pm
Reply to Rose Bud ๐ŸŒน

Dat right. Breaking rules and breaking hearts. ๐Ÿ’”...

Seat belts? (blows raspberry) pppphhhttt.

Ride a motorcycle. ๐Ÿ Problem solved. ๐Ÿ˜†

Ben38
Oct 14, 2024 9:02 pm

Seatbelt won't harm your stoma, but if it bothers you, place a small cushion or even a folded towel over the stoma or use a seat belt extender.

warrior
Oct 14, 2024 9:07 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

Yes, the same law applies here in the states... if you get caught, pulled over... Hee hee. ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ.

I guarantee you this:

You whip out your bag slowly, that cop is gonna wave bye-bye to you.

bobwilson5999
Oct 14, 2024 9:17 pm

Use a short piece of a pool noodle, cut it in half longitudinally and use one piece on either side of your stoma.ย  Keeps the belt off your stoma and allows output to drop.

Lady A
Oct 14, 2024 9:26 pm

Great idea and cheap! Love love love itโฃ๏ธ

warrior
Oct 14, 2024 9:32 pm
Reply to bobwilson5999

Great idea... pool noodle. Hmm, what about those gray-colored pipe insulation noodles? They won't be too colorful, bright, or noticeable, but should do the trick as well.

Brilliant idea, Bob.

Rose Bud ๐ŸŒน
Oct 14, 2024 9:34 pm
Reply to warrior

๐Ÿ˜‹

AlexT
Oct 15, 2024 1:08 am

Never seen a seatbelt pull tight enough to be harmful or affect my stoma. Only time I could see a cushion be useful is in a wreck.ย 

Beachboy
Oct 15, 2024 8:04 am

I leave the seatbelt clipped into its latch all the time.ย  I get in car, then after getting seated, I reach behind my head and pull the cross belt over my head and onto my body.ย  So the lap belt is behind me.ย  To get out, I pull the cross belt over my head and lay it on the seat behind me.

Works great.ย  Cops can't tell I don't have the lap belt across my stoma.ย 

The lapbelt goes right across my stoma.ย  Any sudden stop, seatbelts automatically retract tightening the belt.ย  I've tried plastic covers over the stoma.ย  As I drive, the belt inches upward or down, then begins pushing the plastic sideways.

ย 

Mysterious Mose
Oct 15, 2024 4:51 pm

$6.88 at Walmart. I use one without the belt to cover my bag while driving. The other I use with both belts when using my backpack electric blower. Works fine. Cheap. A that works fine too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Light-Weight-General-Purpose-Kneepads-with-Hook-and-Loop-Fastener/15789820?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=3867&gclsrc=aw.ds&adid=2222222227715789820_117755028669_12420145346&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-394283752452&wl5=1014452&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=15789820&veh=sem_LIA&gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwpbi4BhByEiwAMC8JnfDOJ0PabLD-fq11V_pO0TYSdQrksU3wsU0_VIUXe2562pFjANg-3xoCpQoQAvD_BwE

ย 

Login to see image

ย 

maryorwitz
Oct 15, 2024 4:59 pm
Reply to Rose Bud ๐ŸŒน

Overpriced, absolutely? I've tried so many things to be more comfortable. My stoma is always prolapsed, so seat belts are uncomfortable. I just reach down and pull it away; sometimes, I hold the belt away with one hand (I only use one hand to drive).

Beachboy
Oct 15, 2024 5:21 pm
Reply to maryorwitz

I was doing that for awhile, holding the belt away.ย  But I was driving 3 hours a day commuting to work in heavy traffic.ย  Gets tiresome holding the belt.ย  And I always had sudden stops when a ding-a-ling would cut me off.ย  My seatbelts automatically retract and lock when that happens.ย  Pinched my stoma more than once.ย  Wearing just the shoulder strap worked best for me.

Beachboy
Oct 15, 2024 5:22 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I'm gonna give that a try.

Flyerfan
Oct 19, 2024 1:59 am
Reply to Beachboy

Same here

almelia
Oct 19, 2024 3:22 pm

I use one of the large clips that are for resealing freezer, cereal, etc., packets. They are brightly colored and usually come in small and large sizes in a pack from IKEA and general stores. I clip it to the seat belt above my shoulder so it's just slightly loose but will still do the job in an emergency.

Bilbo baggins
Oct 19, 2024 4:20 pm
Reply to almelia

I use one of my granddaughter's teddy bears.

Head down and paws spread out with the seat belt over it.

Very comfortable.

I would hate to explain it if I get pulled over.

AlexT
Oct 19, 2024 9:15 pm
Reply to Bilbo baggins

Yep, thatโ€™d look odd. ๐Ÿ˜‚ย