Keeping Ostomy Wafers Secure During Workouts

Replies
Views
Hanaleah
Jan 26, 2017 3:46 am

What do extremely athletic people do to keep their ostomy wafer on when they are working out?

ycats
Jan 27, 2017 12:25 am

Pull your leggings or yoga pants over your appliance. I worked out with a colostomy with no problem at all.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,873 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ChrisP
Jan 29, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm the last person to pontificate about working out (I tried it once about 15 years ago!), but I would have thought the most important thing would be to avoid getting a hernia!

I found this site offers helpful advice, although I draw the line at the T-shirts....

http://www.stomaatje.com/index.html

Living in France, the French version helps me with bits of technical vocab you just don't get in the average conversation class! Chris

TomFTW
Jan 30, 2017 9:44 pm

I think that's a great question! I would also like to know what abdominal exercises are best for those of us with ostomies. I've lost the weight recently, but not the gut!

Oceanblue
Jan 31, 2017 10:17 am

I wear a support belt which I purchased through the Ostomy Association in Australia. This is helpful in a gym environment. I agree with ChrisP to avoid straining the abdominal area around the stoma as this can cause a parastomal hernia.

To answer the question about keeping the wafer on during extreme exercise, I haven't had a problem with my Coloplast Alterna base. I go surfing with a very supportive pair of board shorts which put pressure on the wafer. The wafer can last me a few days of surfing etc.

It all depends on how well your base (wafer) fits to your skin.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
chet8625
Jan 31, 2017 12:02 pm

I have always used a support belt, even when not exercising. But I have run and lifted and never had any issues.

I also use Coloplast's elasticized seals around the disk that give some added support.

Hanaleah
Feb 11, 2017 4:36 am

Thank you for replying. I was jogging and wearing my unitards. What brand of appliance do you wear? Yesterday I used from Cymed. They work great. I worked out for 3 hours and it was perfect. If you're into working out, get a sample from them.

Where in New York do you live?

Pray for peace.

AZishome
Feb 08, 2018 1:11 am

Before 3-5 hour bike rides, I make sure to put on a new bag and use a healthy amount of waterproof Hy-tape...

adrenalinejunkie
Aug 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Stealthbelt all the way and Sensura Mio Convex Coloplast bags, works a treat for everything. Never had a problem with them. Wild swimming, gym, climbing, hiking, skating. - Some people are allergic to that appliance though