Ostomy Relocation: Recovery Time and Process?

Replies
Views
kbd
Mar 09, 2017 12:10 am

It looks like I will be having my ostomy relocated. I'm wondering about those who have had this done how long it takes to recover and what is involved.

Thanks!

Past Member
Mar 09, 2017 3:45 pm

I've had an ilieo moved a couple of times; The last time was during a hernia repair and possible take down try that the surgeon decided was too risky so he relocated my stoma to a nicer location. He resected a few more inches of bad bowel.  I recovered well and feel good a year later about it.  I remember the docs where really watching my output and if i was getting enough nutrition or would need to be on TPN permanently or not. 

I think i recovered quickly, and my body(or just my mind telling my body) was already used to the ostomy. I had issues with the hernia repair mesh, but the ostomy healed quickly. once i got out of the hospital and i was on my normal diet within a few weeks.

I dont know if thats much help but i imagine if they want to move it, its not just a cosmetic thing. Its a major surgery no matter what though. Make sure you trust in your docs and the reason they are doing it..Good luck :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

kbd
Mar 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.