Flexible Sigmoidoscopy After Ileostomy: What to Expect?

Replies
Views
rossitis22
May 14, 2017 9:26 pm

I am going to get a  flexible sigmoidoscopy in the anal stump it's the first since I have had my ileostomy was just wondering what it has involved? is there pain? is there blood ? Will there be a option for sedation  i am very nervous about it  

NJ Bain
May 15, 2017 5:26 am

rossitis22,

I had one done last year and there isn't much to it.  I too still have my rectum intact and about 8 of colon left.  It's a cheaper than a colonoscopy but there isn't much of an option for sedation.  You can ask the doctor to use lidocaine and that will kill the initial bite of the scope going in.

The doctor will be in there all of 5 minutes tops, squeeze some air in there and may take a tissue sample which will not hurt.  In my case, my rectum has a lot of scar tissue and the opening isn't as big as your average rectum.  So for me, it's not very comfortable and I had some bleeding.  But if your rectum is average, you'll do just fine.

But at least you don't have to prep for it.  Hope this helps.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
May 15, 2017 7:15 pm

If it's only going in your anus & rectal stump it's uncomfortable but not painful, I used to have them alot before I had my stump removed, you won't need any sedation

Newbie Dana
May 17, 2017 10:09 pm

I had them every 3 months for a year after my ostomy, then every 6 months. No big. Minimal discomfort, no real pain. Occasionally some bleeding, but mostly because I had a spot of radiation-damaged tissue in the colon stump which didn't want to heal and he was monitoring it closely. (And eventually, it did perforate, but that's another story altogether!) At any rate, I am scheduled for the whole shebang in November - colonostomy colonoscopy (say that 3 times fast!) along with another sigmoidoscope through the rectal stump. Again, no worries - I will be asleep for the whole thing, mainly because of the ostomy scope.