Understanding My Double Ostomy Setup

Replies
Views
jakelegs
Jun 02, 2017 2:48 am

Not sure what my stoma is called . I have one going to anus and one from colon. So what would one call what I have? Had no one to teach me the ins and outs. Nurse in hospital  knew very little therefore what I know was from trial and error and this site. Mine can be reversed but thinking about making it permanant. Those of you that are paralyzed as I am know the problems having to wear a diaper. I hate having the cut an oval in my one piece bag and think if I have one hole and pre made bag life will be a tiny bit better Any help this ole 75 year would love to hear from you.

vdahl
Jun 02, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm pretty new to this whole "new normal" too but, if it can be reversed, it might be a loop ostomy, right? Your description sounds a bit different though... I guess there is a (fairly rare) Double Barrel ostomy, of which I know nothing about, so I apologize if I'm simply babbeling :) Now I'm not sure if you have an colostomy or ileostomy.

I have a "loop" ileostomy so have what looks like 2 stomas but is, in fact, one... Picture a hose cut part way through with one side sewn closed and the other considered 'active'. I was cutting an oval too but after the swelling settled a bit, I am able to use the circle. I also started with the one-piece (at home) but found I like the 2 piece MUCH better for a number of reasons. I like to be able to change the bag without having to change the whole system, plus, it's easier to see what I'm doing.

Why isn't someone helping you? My home health nurses were wonderful and told me it's their job to 'coach' me through the maze of new information. Of course, once discharged I was on my own. I will say, you need to make sure that the nurses working with you need to be certified in OSTOMY care, not just wound care. I found that only 1 or 2 of probably a dozen local services actually had ostomy nurses.

I'm sure you have a whole "other" set of circumstances that I certainly don't understand, but I do wish you the very best. I hope you're able to have your questions answered.

Wishing you better days,

Vicki

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Immarsh
Jun 05, 2017 3:55 am

Hi Jake,

I wrote you a long answer to your post, but it "disappeared".    I just looked up the double barrel colostomy, or "loop colostomy"    and it is what I thought it was. 

If the entire colon large intestine is disease, then doctors form the ostomy from the ilum ( ileostomy) and either removed  the diseased colon, or attach it to the abdominal wall.  They can remove deseased portions, and attach the rest, creating an inactive stoma... that emits mucus but no fecal waste. 

If the opening is made into the colon ( large intestine) then you have a "colostomy"   The deseased portion, can be left in, to heal, and again, hooked to the abdomon, or they can remove some or all of the colon, leaving the 5 inch rectal stump....also attached to the abdomen, but is mean to heal slowly, from the inside out.  
When the diseased rectum / and or colon doesn't heal,    doctors remove it from both an abdominal incision and a rectal incision ( .)   literally cutting around the rectum and sewing it closed.   I had an ileostomy done when I was 15, and then removal of the rectum, when I was 19, and have lived with it ever since  50+ years.  I have no regrets, as it's been my badge of survival.   Best regards. 

Marsha

LadyHope
Jun 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi Jake, Welcome to MAO.  Please continue to post your questions here.  Everyone on this site is very helpful.  I am not certain what you have either...you said double ostomy.  I would recommend calling your doctor, wound nurse at your hospital or a home care nurse and see if someone would be able to assist you.  Learning this procedure is tricky at times and it is good to have someone knowledgeable about the process to guide you.  If you have anything specific, feel free to post here too and we will try and help per the postings.  Take care and good luck to you.  Sincerely, LH

winnie
Jun 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Hello jake,  I use a one piece bag and i have to cut them oval also..I asked my supplier if they could pre-cut them oval for me..they said they can cut them oval but not on a one piece the cut will go all the way through..you might try a two piece bag and see if your supplier can cut them oval for you.  

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play