Experiences with Colostomy Reversal and After Effects

Replies
Views
mary68
Oct 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi all 

Just a question about a colostomy reversal if anyone has had this done and any problems with the after effects any info would be greatly appreciated 

Davidwilliams2728
Oct 03, 2017 6:23 am

Hi Mary,

I had my reversal on the 18th of july this year so thats about ten weeks now.

The main problem for me ans i assume most was/is diarrhoea and the ammount of times i was going to the toilet. At the moment im down to about 4/5 times a day but it can be more at times. When i first left hospital i was living in the bathroom almost untill i discovered that it is indeed safe to take Immodium (Loperamide ).

I spoke to several different people reguarding the use of Loperamaide and it was only recently confirmed by my surgeon that it was ok but it really is a godsend. ( you can get this for as little as 55p in home bargains compared to £3 50 for imodium in some places for the same dose), so shop around for you will need quite a lot , i have packets and packets in my cupboards :).

Of course everyone is different but as a 53 year old i was quite chuffed with how quickly my recovery was/is taking, of course the initial weeks drag on when mobility isnt too good but it doesnt take long to get out and about again, but you will need the Loperamide to feel safe , it at the very least gives you a warning if you know what i mean :), please feel free to pm me if you need anything else, im also in the uk by the way.

David

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Davidwilliams2728
Oct 03, 2017 6:33 am

Oh, one more thing . the ( dirty bit) so to speak.

After a bowel movement i found/find it much better ( for now at least ) if possible to just dab and then jump straight into the shower , squat down and put that shower hose to work otherwis you may find you will need a heck of a lot of barrier creme for ones bottom really does take a hammering in the early days , but as i said earlier, you will be suprised how quickly things improve, good luck.

mary68
Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi David just seen your message that helps extremely I was a bit concerned to how I would cope as I do a lot of dog walking lol but have just got my appointment for the pre assessment this month looking forward to it in a way and a bit dubious on the other but it's gotta be done thanks for your reply I haven't spoken to anyone much about it so it's great to have a second opinion when you have had it done I appreciate your feedback 

mary68
Oct 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Look forward to hearing from you soon I shall keep you informed of what happens with appointment and when I get my date for reversal you have put some of my mind at rest phew lol 😁

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play