Can a Hernia Cause a Rash from Bag Tugging?

Replies
Views
Booters
Jan 01, 2018 4:42 pm

does anyone think that a rash can form under the bag because it’s being tugged at from a hernia

dadnabbit
Jan 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Booters, Honestly don't know but it seems tugging would cause discomfort from tightness and a rash is usually the result of some outside interference like  an allergy or leak.  I have had a rash around the stoma, and crusting works for many folks, but I myself use anasept from anacapa technologies.  It can be found on jet.com.  I receive nothing from the company for passing along this data, but this stuff kills bacteria like CDIFF AND MRSA and nothing else on the market does that.  I use the gel when I change set up applying on the rash and allowing to sit for a moment before making sure it is all rubbed in or wiped off before using a  barrier wipe for adherence of the wafer/bag.  If I need a clean up I use the anascept in spray form, allowing it to dry before continuing.

Good Luck

Peace

Nancy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Jan 03, 2018 6:54 pm

I had the same thing and talked to my nurse about it.  She said that was because of Moisture between the bag and my skin which will cause a fungus like Athlete's Foot.  I take a shower every day so she said make sure I use a hair dryer to dry the bag and the wafer.  

So here is what I do.   Everyday I place a dry bag on.  Meaning the first day everything is new. The second day when I take a shower I rinse out the bag and let it dry for the next day replacing it with one I already rinsed out.  Each bag will be used twice.  Make sure you blow dry the wafer.

I also used Athlete's Foot powder to help get rid of the rash.  Since I'm putting a dry bag on daily after my shower I don't seem to have this probelm anymore.  Also It does help to use the panties that have a pouch at least in the summer to help with moisture.

I hope this helps!

Sis1949