Home from Hospital with a New Ostomy: Seeking Seafood Advice

Replies
Views
freedancer
Feb 27, 2018 4:10 am

Well, I made it home a few days ago from the hospital. I am happy to be home but discouraged that I am starting over from day one again. I sit here in my lounge chair, 30 plus staples in my gut and a new "Maxine" stitched into my side. It is more painful this go around, but I can't believe how well it is working. Last time, all I put out was semi-thick discharge and often, quite watery even after the 5-month point. Now it is more like thick oatmeal, so it is definitely working better. The staples hurt more this time, and they reopened the old scar, so I assume it will take more time to heal. I ventured outside today to the doctor to have him check my hand that I fell on in June. It went slightly numb after I fell, but it was somewhat numb before I fell due to slipping and falling on the ice in front of my building in 2016. At that time, I hit my head and whiplashed my neck, giving myself a serious concussion. Now it is thought that I ruptured a disk in C6, which is causing the numbness. The doctor said I did not damage the LRTI surgery on my right thumb when I fell in Salt Lake in June, breaking my left foot and possibly starting the issue which caused me to lose my colon. Of course, they call it ischemic bowel syndrome, and they don't know the cause. Each day, I feel a little better, and on some days, I don't have to take pain meds, and I push through the pain, but the next time I do. However, the space between the meds is getting longer and longer. Soon, I won't have to take any at all. I can't drive yet, but my hubby takes me where I need to go. Just going to the doctor wore me out today. Now for my question, do any of you have issues with seafood such as shrimp, lobster, scallops, or coated seafood that has been baked or deep-fried? The doc seemed to think that I won't have as much difficulty now that the ostomy is larger and the stricture is gone. He said I may even be able to do okay with vegetables now and maybe salad as long as the seeds are removed. Is there any seafood that has caused issues for you? Any that you would not recommend eating? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am sorry for the chattiness. Pain meds have a tendency to do that to me.

Bill
Feb 27, 2018 6:51 am

Hello Freedancer.

Thanks for the update and I'm so glad that things seems to be progressing better for you this time around. As for the seafood issue, I don't have a problem with it myself but I know of quite a number of friends and relatives who have serious problems with shellfish and they don't even have stomas!

I sometimes wonder if, as the sea is becoming more and more polluted, that the 'bottom-feeders' such as shelfish are absorbing more of this than the fish, which swim higher in the water. Would it not be somewhat ironic, and poetic justice, if we humans are poisoning ourselves via the rest of the food chain?  Just a thought!

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.