Surgery Recovery Time for Long Car Ride

Replies
Views
Boalsman
Aug 08, 2024 6:49 am

Scheduled for reversal surgery in early October. Will I be okay to make a 3-hour car ride in late November?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

DavidK
Aug 08, 2024 8:37 am

You yourself will be the best person to answer this question, and you'll only know for sure closer to the time!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

DexieB
Aug 08, 2024 1:55 pm

Hi Boalsman, congrats! I had my reversal on January 30. I had about an hour and a half car ride each way to the hospital. What I did was rent a hotel room 5 minutes away from the hospital for the day before my surgery - I had to do a bowel prep, and I didn't want to deal with issues in the car. I am not sure if you will need to do a prep, but if so, I would advise you or your wound nurse to order an extra large capacity bag with a drain tap - I don't know what I would have done without that. And it had tubing to attach it to an even larger bag so that I could sleep and not get up constantly to drain the bag during the night. As far as the ride home, it was fine - my husband just made sure to drive carefully. And luckily, I have comfortable seats that recline, so I did okay - I brought a pillow and that helped with the ride. As for a car ride in November - you should be fine to ride in a car by that time with no issues!

Dogen's bag
Aug 30, 2024 2:53 pm

I was able to travel a month out from my reversal, only an hour and a half, but there were 100% no problems. :-)