Living with a Parastomal Hernia: Seeking Positive Advice

Replies
Views
bukowski
Jun 19, 2018 7:38 pm

I have an ileostomy and several months ago found out I had a parastomal hernia. No plans on surgery at this point in time. I hate hernias more than anything. I've had them before and they are such an inconvenience. I do have a hernia support belt made specially for stomas. I am so afraid of doing anything because I know it will get worse and I just fear how big it can get. First thing... PLEASE no one tell me horror stories about how big theirs got or someone else's. PLEASE no horror stories about hernias blowing up and needing emergency surgery. All I am looking for is any positive advice about how to manage or improve life with this little alien living inside of me. I know about ice packs, but that's all I've been doing. I walk daily... Can simply walking make the hernia worse? 

*In Elvis voice*

Thank you, thank you, very much.

Bill
Jun 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Hello bulowski. I have several different types of hernia and I have learned to live with them. I am aware that there are things we should not do - like lift heavy things and strain  physically but that has never stopped me and my hernias do not appear to have become worse as a result. I do wear a couple of hernia belts during the day which hopefully will alleviate most of the stress I put my body under but I refuse to let these physical abnormalities dictate the way I live. 

We are all different and what I do physically might be very detrimental to someone else. However, what I would say is that I gradually built up to doing the same things I did in the past so the progression was incremental. I don't believe that any of my conditions should hold me back.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

HarleySue
Jun 26, 2018 11:26 pm

I have hade my colostomy since April 2012 & by July 2013 I had a parastomal hernia.I recieved surg. Aug.2013 by an amazing Dr. He advised me to go through with the surg. because it could push my stoma & intestance outside my body.I wore belts as you both did & the Dr. said,"They will only hold back the hernia for so long!" I'm doing so much better & recovery was quick.I'm also speaking as a nurse & a pt.I recommend this surg.,get a few medical aponions.Hope this helps!