Colostomy Reversal and Hernia Repair Concerns

Replies
Views
Bethany
Aug 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi I am new to group and hope someone can give me some info. A couple of years ago I had a colostomy after diverticulitis which led to peritonitis fistula and sepsis also had a necrotic appendixI am truly grateful for the surgery and to the doctors who saved my life I have since developed a large hernia and this is rather debilitating. I am considering a reversal and hernia repair which I have been told is possible but I am wondering if the diverticulitis can come back after revert. Has anyone any experience of this? Doctor has said that they will not do a hernia repair alone so it’s all or nothing and I forgot to ask the question about recurrence. Hopefully someone can give me some info. Many thanks 

DonBrown1943
Aug 04, 2018 4:31 am

I also had severe diverticulitis, requiring removal of 18 inches of my colon followed by weeks of recovering from sepsis. After a year I had surgery to reconnect my colon with my rectum and repair a massive hernia. I have been extremely careful with my diet since then. The diverticulitis will not reappear if you can keep yourself from developing constipation or blockages. I don't know of any cases where it has come back unless several episodes of severe constipation preceded it. My advice is to for it but keep stool softeners and laxatives on hand.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Rizzo
Aug 04, 2018 9:49 am

I had a reversal in February 2017, with no signs of my diverticulitis returning.

Bethany
Aug 04, 2018 11:25 am

Thank you so much I know it is up to me and my surgeon to make the decision but it really helps to hear experiences from others. Again many thanks