Clip or Velcro Closures for Ostomy Bags - Which Do You Prefer?

Replies
Views
Bertha
Aug 05, 2024 7:41 am

Velcro. Coloplast. Never had a problem with it ever. Wouldn't even consider using a clip.

txkashmir
Aug 05, 2024 10:44 am

I hate the clips - much prefer the Velcro.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Pooter
Aug 05, 2024 4:57 pm

I have had my ileostomy for 53 years. I had my surgery in 1971. Back when I had my surgery, there were no Velcro clamps. The problem I had with the clamps was that they would get worn out and not hold well. I have had many accidents when I was using the clamp. I now use the Velcro and have not had any problems.

blackpooljean
Aug 06, 2024 1:13 am
Reply to IGGIE

Would like some details on your Iggie clip, please. I prefer a clip to Velcro closing.

OldDude
Aug 06, 2024 3:23 am

After 6 years with a Velcro closure (various manufacturers) and only a few clips, I have never had a failure of either design. So my response is based on my perceived ease of use and comfort. The Velcro closure seems to be lower profile, easier to operate, and doesn't poke me like the clip sometimes did. Both were easy to empty and clean. In the middle of the night when I need to empty but really don't want to wake up any more than the bare minimum, the Velcro closure is my friend.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
w30bob
Aug 06, 2024 3:43 am

One thing to note here is that most ostomy bags with the Velcro closure don't use actual Velcro. The Hollister bags I use don't, and I think of the big three, only Coloplast has some bags with real Velcro... and it's called EasiSeal or something like that. I mention this because you can have a failure with the Hollister bags' seal if you don't squeeze the two sides of the closure together with a bit of force. That's because, unlike real Velcro, which has its hooks pointed in all directions, the other hook and loop fasteners have all their hooks pointing in the same direction... because otherwise, they'd be violating Velcro's patent. That's why real Velcro sticks on contact, with no force required, while the generic hook and loop systems need force to close. Not realizing this, there have been a few times when I first switched to the Hollister bags with the hook and loop closure... called Lock and Roll microseal... that I didn't squeeze the closure hard enough to engage the hooks and loops. You can guess how that turned out. As you use it more and more, it requires less pressure to get a good attachment, and when you squeeze, you'll feel the hooks push into the loops and the whole seal gets thinner. Then you're good to go. Just more useless knowledge to tuck away in that brain of yours for someday down the road.

;O)

Justbreathe
Aug 06, 2024 1:03 pm
Reply to w30bob

“Just more useless knowledge to tuck away in that brain of yours for someday down the road.”

LOL... Part of my current problems and failures is my inability to tuck away useless knowledge for someday down the road... leaving my memory banks full of this sheez, and then when needed, I cannot recall it.
I am indeed a useless knowledge hoarder... so thanks... jb

lyndaj
Aug 06, 2024 1:44 pm

I use the Hollister Ostomy bags, but the closure type is irrelevant to me. I have, thankfully, become aware of the "Flushable Ostomy Pouch Liners," which I am so grateful for. No more cleaning an ostomy bag. Remove the liner and flush. Replace with another liner. The same ostomy bags can be used for a long time.

IGGIE
Aug 06, 2024 2:14 pm
Reply to Beachboy

My perfect Marketing Manager, great job BB. Regards, Iggie

Mysterious Mose
Aug 06, 2024 2:27 pm
Reply to w30bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOMb3jJShAw

🥸

Hisbiscus
Aug 07, 2024 10:03 pm

Clap hands down

EllaG
Aug 11, 2024 7:15 am

I don't even know what a clip closure is. Since my colostomy started on 3/31/24, I have used pouches by Hollister and always with Velcro.

Sasquatch
Aug 20, 2024 3:03 am

I had some pouches with a clip closure in the very beginning; I don't remember the brand. I didn't like fumbling around with it, went to Velcro, and never looked back. I can't recall ever having any issues with the Velcro failing.

Naomi23
Aug 22, 2024 12:11 am
Reply to 🇦🇺 Jo

I have used the clip kind while I was in a skilled nursing facility and hated it! It was complex, and a lot of the nurses didn't know how to unclip it. I am now at home with my ostomy bag and much more prefer the Velcro kind. And that's what my insurance company covers for me: the one-piece Hollister kind with the Velcro. It seems to me much easier for emptying and closing back up because I once had the clip come off while wearing my bag, and it was a mess!

MsPriss
Aug 22, 2024 11:32 pm
Reply to AlexT

So I haven't had mine long, but I had a splash get on the Velcro tab of my Coloplast bag. It cleaned up okay; it's the stiff part of the Velcro - but yeah, that is the only way I could see it happening.

Jane doe
Aug 23, 2024 1:44 am
Reply to HarryD

I hate those clips. I can't even open it to get it off, had to get my friend to unsnap it! 😂

MBT
Aug 23, 2024 4:18 am

Thank you, everyone, for responding :) I enjoyed following this conversation. 46 of us responded, and here are the results:

Rubber bands 4%

Velcro w/IGGIE clip 11%

Traditional clip 22%

Velcro 63%

warrior
Aug 23, 2024 1:30 pm
Reply to MBT

You forgot staples... stapling... ha... just kidding. Welcome back.

warrior
Aug 23, 2024 1:35 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Rain gear too.

HuntWorks
Sep 08, 2024 7:01 pm

My initial ostomy nurse was big on clips, so that's what we used initially - although she did show us how to use the Velcro Hollister. She folded the first tab back, then folded the rest of it forward to the final Velcro closure. When I switched to Velcro, I did it the same way - but noticed videos just showed them folding each panel towards the front. Does anyone use the back then forward method? Do you feel like it makes any difference at all?

Mysterious Mose
Sep 08, 2024 7:18 pm
Reply to HuntWorks

Using back then forward has a tendency to seep, in my experience. I do all the folds towards me. The only time I do an initial fold away from me is when I empty my bag. What I do is add water to the bag, do one fold away and one towards, and then swish things around before emptying into the toilet. I do it this way because, if things stick a bit when opening, the output will spurt backwards instead of forwards. A couple of messes got me to change to the way I do it now. :-)

Daniel

Rancher
Sep 09, 2024 3:33 am

In my limited experience, I used Coloplast velcro all AOK. Tried Convatec bag this weekend because I wanted to try moldable wafers.

Their drain with the velcro sucks. I tried folding both ways and it didn't make a difference. You can't fully clean them up, and when you fold them up, the effluent pushes outside the sides and in between the folds.

Trying to burp them at night is disgusting.

doryns
Sep 09, 2024 4:07 am
Reply to AlexT

I just use the clip so I can drain it, wash it out, and reuse the pouch over and over again, and only have to bring one when traveling.

doryns
Sep 09, 2024 4:09 am
Reply to sj68

Using clip, you can use the pouch over and over again. Great after 15 years.

doryns
Reply to sj68

doryns
Reply to sj68

doryns
Reply to sj68

doryns
Reply to sj68

doryns
Reply to sj68

doryns
Reply to sj68