Affordable Alternatives for Adhesive Remover Wipes?

Replies
Views
jenehough532
Oct 04, 2023 7:16 am

Hi guys! How are you? New member here. Got my ileostomy in March 2023, recently my adhesive remover wipes are finished. And I am looking for alternatives. As adhesive remover this side is really expensive, my hospital has no stock, or provides leukoplast, which burns like fire. Also can't get any at the pharmacy...any suggestions?

Bill
Oct 04, 2023 7:48 am

Hello jenehough532.

Thanks for the question, which I feel sure will attract a few replies.  Of course not many of us will be familiar with what might be available in South Africa but we can at least let you know what we use and where we get it from.
I have tried the wipes, but felt that the sprays were more efficient for how I go about the process. Hence, I now use 'Brava adhesive remover spray' by Coloplast. (which does not sting!)

However, I feel sure that most larger manufacturers will stock similar items. Also, I would think that Coloplast, Hollister and others will have contacts in most countries, and if you get in touch with them they will undoubtedly send you samples to try.
I am a great one for experimenting when the need arises, but that need has not arisen for this problem because the products are readily available here. However, I would think that things that remove  things like superglue would be more than capable of removing a wafer. I think they use nail polish remover for this purpose.- I would  to try a little on skin that was not near your stoma first, to see if there was any adverse reaction, or even stick a wafer elsewhere and see what substance removes it satisfactorily. (my usual go-too substances are usually white spirit/turpentine/ methylated spirit and paint stripper - which just happen to be in my shed) Sometimes they work, but often they don't. One other thing that strikes me about wafers, is the fact that they seem to come off unrequitedly, quite easily when they get wet underneath naturally. Maybe, just plain warm water might work as a temporary measure while you are waiting for something more suitable. 
I do hope that you find a solution soon.
Best wishes
Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Oct 04, 2023 10:57 am

Hello,

I did a little research on South African medical insurance. Are you on the state-funded public sector system or do you have private insurance?

I'm sure you know the public sector system is underfunded, so not much help is available.

Skin around your stoma is sensitive. Be careful when removing the wafer. Clean, dry skin is the key to having a new wafer stick to your skin with a leak-proof seal. So any chemical used to remove an old wafer cannot leave your skin oily or leave a residue.

Unfortunately, an ileo will require constant care to prevent leaks and emptying the bag. Taking care of your skin is very important.

Here in the US, spray medical adhesive remover is very expensive. So I usually use adhesive remover wipes. Wipes are just as effective as spray but take longer to get the wafer off.

Where do you get your Ostomy supplies from? As others have mentioned, most ostomy medical supply companies will send you free samples. Information about this is on their websites. I use Hollister products.

Amazon does deliver to South Africa, though you will need to use a package forwarder to get most Amazon items delivered to you. Amazon has an international website. Here is the address for it:

https://www.amazon.com/International-Shipping-Direct/b?ie=UTF8&node=230659011&linkCode=sl2&tag=shipglobal0b-20&linkId=3e63632c5262f7fe32e1a877f0854fb4&language=e

I order adhesive remover wipes from Amazon. They are far cheaper than spray and work just as well.

Take care

CrappyColon
Oct 04, 2023 1:23 pm

I wish I could send you some that I have, but I don't think the shipping costs would be worth it. I know one person from SA on here. I'll send a message and see if he has any suggestions. I know there's issues with the power supply, so sometimes hearing back can take a bit. I know for not as sensitive areas of skin, I was told to use rubbing alcohol pads (a lot of times after a surgery I'm left with sticky residue where I have had… I don't know what they are called, but the sticky things they place on different places on your body to monitor heartrate or where IVs have been taped on).

AlexT
Oct 04, 2023 4:01 pm

I use Adapt adhesive remover in both spray and wipes. I use just a couple squirts of spray to take my bag off and then a couple wipes on my skin. The spray lasts me a few months and the wipes last about 2 months.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
jenehough532
Oct 05, 2023 4:53 am
Reply to Beachboy

At this time I do not have private medical insurance and therefore rely on the state to provide what I need. I have ordered free samples from Hollister just waiting for feedback. I have used Convatec for the last 4 months as a box of 100 lasts me that long. But I will definitely check Amazon and see what the shipping and everything costs altogether.

CrappyColon
Oct 05, 2023 9:43 pm

Hey, check your messages...heard back from my friend in SA :)

Newbie Dana
Oct 08, 2023 7:07 pm

Amazon, yes. Also think about eBay. Over here in the US, I am limited in the number of pouches Medicare insurance will cover (and the amount is never enough) so I have to buy extra on eBay. But it may be one of your few options to get what you need to take care of your ostomy.

mcame
Oct 08, 2023 10:07 pm
Reply to AlexT

Smith & Nephew Skin-Prep® Protective Barrier Wipes found on Amazon

sunburst
Oct 08, 2023 10:54 pm

A lot of good replies. I'll reiterate one that suggested contacting the manufacturers. Hollister, Coloplast and some others are international so there is a good chance they have representation in RSA. 
They will discuss the products they offer for your needs and are always happy to send samples - at least in my experience and from what others say. 
I use Hollister remover wipes and they work fine for me. 
While you're at it, have them send samples for all the things you use - again, they are usually very happy to assist. 
Good luck

Just found this - hope it helps

https://ostomysupplies.co.za/product-category/brands/hollister/

Winnie The Pooh
Oct 09, 2023 3:10 pm

If you are using the Coloplast remover sprays, the friendly pharmacist, out of earshot of his grouchy boss, told me I should try to get them from the distributor, or off the internet, in boxes of 12 - said they were about half the price that way rather than getting one from his pharmacy each month with the bags.

betsyb
Oct 27, 2023 6:54 pm

Try witch hazel or coconut oil.

Past Member
Nov 05, 2023 2:54 pm
Reply to Beachboy

The keyword for all these products is non-sting. I also use 3M skin protection wipes to protect my super sensitive skin from everything (some from Coloplast and Hollister have proved to not help and even aggravate). Samples are key to not having very expensive unusable leftovers. I find "air time" very soothing (just be on the ready with mop-up towels).

oldfart1942
Nov 06, 2023 4:40 pm

I've had a colostomy for 6 months now. I use the Hollister two-piece system. I don't use adhesive remover. After removing the old flange, I just use a paper towel and warm water to clean where the old adhesive was. I do this a couple of times, then dry with a paper towel. The skin doesn't feel sticky after that. If it does, repeat. The new flange sticks just fine. I do this once a week, and (so far!) have had no issues with leaks, adhesion, etc. Your mileage may vary.

AlexT
Nov 06, 2023 5:59 pm
Reply to oldfart1942

Nobody has ever said that someone must use adhesive remover. However, it makes everything sticky come off much easier, especially barrier rings. The key is to not tear your skin up taking stuff off. If you're damaging your skin at all, use the remover. For me, I use the remover mostly to remove the barrier ring; the regular sticky stuff on the flange comes off pretty easily.

kennybob94zz
Dec 23, 2023 11:20 pm
Reply to AlexT

I never used any going on 17 years. I just let it toughen up. Then just take my thumb and rub it off. But if I have to, it doesn't even burn.

twincity.nh
Jan 01, 2024 6:02 am

I always change my bag in the shower. Then scrub the adhesive off with a flannel. Not had any problems so far. I was given adhesive remover spray when I first had a stoma, but it sometimes made it difficult for the new bag to adhere. Hope this helps.

warrior
Jan 27, 2024 5:06 pm

Her head must be spinning by now.

All good advice. Whatever works for you, keep at it.

There are pros and cons to the spray remover and the wipes, that is understood.

The important thing is to make sure you don't tear any skin around the stoma. That's what is important here.

So for me, the spray works great.

It is expensive. Spraying it on, and in a matter of seconds, it practically falls off. Just use warm water, maybe mild soap, and I try to keep that area as dry as possible with the hair dryer blowing there.

Distributors or manufacturers will not sell to the public directly.