Shrinking Stoma During Cancer Treatment: Has This Happened to You?

Replies
Views
Ranger2705
Sep 04, 2020 10:31 pm

I had a colostomy due to rectal cancer two years ago. After things healed up my stoma was 32MM. Now two years later the cancer has returned and going thru chemo again. I have only lost about 10 pounds but have noticed in the last month my stoma is now 25MM. It still looks healthy, bright red, but was wondering if others have had this happen. 

Past Member
Sep 05, 2020 4:20 am

Hi ranger, 

First I'm sorry the cancer has come back. Please keep us updated. 

My stoma has stayed between 38 and 40 mm. I cut my hole to 40 and it works well.  ..mtnman 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Sep 05, 2020 7:27 am

Hello Ranger. 

Mine changes diameter with the temperature (shrinking when it's cold - expanding when hot). Hence I always have a wafer to allow for that expansion, otherwise there was no telling when the stoma would expend to touch the wafer and cause it to bleed.

Best wishes

Bill

TerryLT
Sep 05, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi Ranger,  So sorry to hear of your recurrence.  My stoma changes sizes throughout the day, larger just before output then smaller after.  I would think that as long as the colour is healthy and your output hasn't been affected you are probably just fine, but it doesn't hurt to check it out with an ostomay nurse.  Good luck going forward.

Terry

Past Member
Sep 06, 2020 6:59 am

Hi Ranger, 

sorry to hear about the recurrence. I have had my stomach size change as a result of weight changes.  If you don't already have the cut to fit kind of wafer or the moldable kind, it might be helpful for you so you can adjust as needed to changing stoma size each time you change out your system. 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play