Seeking Alternatives to Convatec Active Life Pouches

Replies
Views
ripock9204
Mar 11, 2021 7:20 pm

Convatec has discontinued the pouch that I've been using for the past decade or so. They've replaced the Active Life line with the Esteem, and they are just not as good. My main problem is the filter does not let any air out of the pouch, I use a closed one piece so that's sort of a big problem. I'm a police officer (wearing a vest and gun belt can be tough with an ostomy) and was so grateful when I discovered the Active Life pouches because they have been working perfectly all these years. Any suggestions on an alternative, a one piece that won't leak but will filter air out, is what I need. Thanks!

lovely
Mar 12, 2021 2:58 am

First off thank you for your service. Most suppliers have an ostomy nurse you can talk to if you call them. They will also send you samples to try. Just call several of the companies and request samples. Best wishes ans stay safe.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

mild_mannered_super_hero
Mar 12, 2021 11:29 am

I will second lovely's advice, another temporary solution would be to search eBay for your discontinued product as quite a few surplus Ostomy supplies turn up there, you might find enough to hold you over till you find a replacement that works. 

warrior
Mar 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Yes, thanks for your service as a police officer. I am curious. You mentioned leaks and then needing some sort of exit for air/gas. The wafer is what leaks. The pouches? I've never had a problem with leakage there, so do clarify... One-piece pouches can be fitted with a small device, a pop valve I have used because those charcoal filters do not do their job. I'm unfamiliar with the type you use though, so that is good it worked for you. But now discontinued, you say? Hmm. Take a look at my profile to see the valve I am talking about. I may have one or two I can send you. I no longer use them because I switched over to the Mio Flip, which was a great relief to leaks. It has this star-shaped design, almost finger-like, that conforms perfectly to your stomach... The thing really works, and I use these "C" adhesive strips as added security. Wow. Big difference. More confidence. Yes, it does bulge because of gas/air, and it is a drainable pouch, so you do have that inconvenience to purge it. (The valves don't work on this pouch). I am sure your diet plays a role in gassing up your pouch. You might want to cut back on certain foods (especially those donuts—just kidding).

I honestly do not know how you wear your equipment with a pouch! Man, that is a trick you have mastered. I cannot imagine being fitted with all that gear plus a pouch. Incredible. You must love your job big time. Me, as an auto mechanic, this pouch fills up and I've got to drain it ASAP. It's a time suck. But draining vs. leaks? Problem solved. Good luck. Perhaps reconsider a different appliance? — Warrior

PS. I started out with Convatek, then replaced the entire system with Sensura Mio Flip by Coloplast. The logic is simple, you can't fit a square into a round hole. The Convatek from what I remember is a square "patch" wafer. It cannot conform to the round of your stomach. I had so many leaks because it is square (like SpongeBob SquarePants?) Anyway, the Mio is star-shaped and once you see it, you will know how much better it will fit. The problem with their pouch is they are double-lined, so using a pop valve mentioned above is nearly impossible to fit the pouch. Filters don't work once they get wet. I've never had one work since 2016. Never will. I am glad they worked for you. Again, good luck. — Warrior (added/edited)

lovely
Mar 15, 2021 1:15 am

Hi Warrior, good to see on the site. I hope you are doing ok now with you have been through. Best wishes and atay safe.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play