Unexpected Issues with Coloplast Illeostomy Pouches

Replies
Views
Scott Chance
Jun 25, 2010 2:27 pm
Having worn a Coloplast Illeastomy pouch for 9 weeks with no obvious problems, I could have been forgiven for thinking that getting used to "the bag" was one of my lesser worries. What a difference a week makes!

In the last week I have experienced the following? Can anyone advise how these problems came about, whether they are normal, what can be done to get around them etc?

1)  I'm "massaging" the bag to empty into the toilet. Nothing unusual there. But hey, what's that moist, wet feeling on my finger? Oh, it's...........shi........welll, it's a little bit of what's inside the bag. Only a little bit, mind you. I suspect there is a hole in the bag somewhere, but despite feeling the surface up and down, I can't find an obvious place where the bag has broken. What gives?

2) Coloplast bags stick to the body via an adhesive which reacts to your body tempeature. The adhesive is contained on a ring that fits around the Stoma. Right? Well, I don't know if it's because the hot weather started within the last week, but I've now had two days where the adhesive has kind of melted at the bottom part of the ring. No spillage but obvivously the bag feels that bit less secure, so I change it. Does this happen a lot? I have to say, the smell of the glue isn't the most pleasant aroma I've ever savoured.

3) This is similar to 1, I guess, but a couple of times now a small (and I mean small) brown patch appears which is moist. Either on the underneath or surface of the bag. This seems to happen on days when the bag is full with air. What is going on?

Can anyone shed any light on the above or advise how to prevent them? Having had no problems for the previous 8 weeks I'm starting to wonder whether I've just been unfortunate in receiving a dododgy batch of bags??
janice
Jun 25, 2010 4:35 pm
I just recently recieved samples of coloplast products.  I like them so far.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mndwlkr
Jun 25, 2010 8:03 pm
Hi-Mndwlkr (Chuk M) here. After I more or less adjusted to having an ileostomy, I began a quest to find out what devices and styles were easier to use, which leaked the least, on and on. I took four major manufacturers (Hollister, Coloplast, Convatec, and Dansac) and tried various styles from each that were equivalent, as well as 1 and 2 piece systems. I was hoping for one to be standing head and shoulders above ther others, but such was not to be.

Well, on to your questions: the little leak after squeezing the bag on emptying-I think you might be getting a bit of spray off the nozzle. I've experienced this on just about every mfg.'s bags. I, too, thought I had a leak where the nozzle is fused to the bag, but in most instances this was not the case. You'll know if there's a small leak (by that weird, creepy feeling on your leg) after an hour! Out of all the bags I've used, (in my opinion) the Hollister seems to be the worst in this area of construction. Compare how their's is sealed to Coloplast and Convatec.

Your question 2, regarding the slipping bag-sounds like you're using a 1 piece system. Regardless, try using an elastic support belt. Hollister has a simple one that works well, and lasts a long time. I'm guessing (90% sure), but I think it's their p/n 7300; runs maybe $10 (US). It's helped me out, just from redistributing the load to a greater area.

Question 3 sounds like its just undigested food sticking to the sides. I end up with lots of air in my bag-I use one with a fabric back, but a clear front. Man, you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) what sticks in there!

All I can say is, ya' just gotta' develop some finesse! Not the thing that's my first choice for refinement, but we do what we gotta'. Peace and courage! Mndwlkr.
PJT
Jun 25, 2010 8:06 pm
Hey Scott,

I would say that the loosening of the adhesive is probably heat related. It's been quite hot and humid here in NY for the last few days and I had to change my bag a few days before I normally would have done so. I should change every 5 to 6 days but I always try to reach for day 7 which I probably shouldn't do.

Regarding the leakage issue, I use Convatec appliances and I've noticed if there's a crease in the bag when I take it out of the box a small, pin-sized leak will occur on that crease in a day or two. So check the bags before you put them on.

PJT
lottagelady
Jun 25, 2010 10:42 pm
Hi, I have had similar issues with the Hollister bags - they leak at the join of the ring and pouch as though the glue has melted almost - I have found though that this is much improved if I use an Adapt ring or Eakin Seal - definitely lasts a little longer - think my s**t must be very acidic or something?

If you don't quite get what I mean, I have an old post on here somewhere with photos! Am sure you could be able to find it through the search forum 'thingy' .... sorry, it is late, I am far too hot and uncomfortable and cannot keep my analgesic patches on as it is too hot and sweaty ..... so I hurt as well .... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If you think it may be a bad batch they generally will send you another box and you send them a sample back, I just give them a call and they are great .....

Rach xx

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Scott Chance
Jun 26, 2010 11:08 am
Thanks everyone for the prompt and informative replies. It's good to know the issue with the glue melting isn't that unusual.

Thanks again.
Franicaa
Jun 27, 2010 8:18 pm

I use Coloplast Sensura which i find are great! I went on holiday to Gran Canaria where it is so hot! and found that to maximise my comfort I would have to change my bag twice a day (I usually change it once a day though). Also, I've found that by stretching the bag too much (like when it's full of air) it's easier for tiny holes to appear in the plastic just around the stick-on ring. The only thing I can suggest is trying out different bags to find which ones are best for you.
Hope this helps

Login to see image

gutenberg
Jun 28, 2010 1:24 am
Hi there Scott, what a timely post as I've had an ileostomy for seven years, had lots of problems and managed to overcome them, then yesterday as I was emptying my pouch as normal, with my right hand holding my pouch to the flange and using my fingers as a scissors with the left and I get this wetness on my right fingers and this being the first time for this type of occurrence, I finish emptying and get the clamp back on and now feeling safe tried to see what was happening, by pulling the pouch up I could see a wet spot where the pouch meets with the plastic and right away I knew what had happened as I remembered Lottage Lady, Rachel, graphically displaying what was happening, and as this was almost the end of the box it would seem that if it was a bad batch I would have caught it before now so I`m hoping that this was just an anomaly, trying to think positively, cause I have an awful lot of pouches to go before restocking but if it happens again I`ll be on the phone to Hollister who I find very good when you have problems. When you`re still new to this you`ll come across many little obstacles, so hang in there, you`ll overcome, Ed

PS: we haven`t had any real hot weather so I could easily count that one out.
sherry56
Jun 28, 2010 2:25 am
You can buy medical adhesive (spray can) to spray on wafer before applying. I use it, after shaking well when you spray on wafer you can see fibers in the adhesive.  I have never had my loosen from the humidity. I use convatec 2 piece.  I have been told when you have a problem that you might think is a flaw to send entire box back. Hope this helps