Does anyone keep doing this (burping while laying down) ...

Replies
Views
beatrice
Aug 31, 2010 8:50 pm
... even tho the results tell you repeatedly that it doesn't work that great?

Login to see image

Again, last night, I woke up and felt my pouch ... full - but I'm thinking "mostly air". I'm so  tired, don't want to get up. So I burp while horizontal. Sigh ... air plus some poo pops out.

I've done the exact same thing nearly a dozen times over the last 7 or so months.

Will I ever learn

Login to see image

. LOL.
Past Member
Aug 31, 2010 9:26 pm

Login to see image

LOL!  Only ever did that once, not long after I had my surgery, and yes it does shoot up like a geyser hey!

But agreed, it looks and feels like air, you feel like just releasing a bit, but no....one "Old Faithful" was enough for me!

You ever tried (carefully) just checking the tail end first, making sure of course it is directed up not down!

Love to know why the bloody thing turns into a Zeppo only at night when we are half asleep!

Cheers Beatrice,

Jo x

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lottagelady
Aug 31, 2010 10:06 pm
Yes mine does that too ..... like a zeppelin by morning (or off, as it seems to be quite often recently .... sigh .....)

Rach xx
annie_nu2
Aug 31, 2010 10:19 pm
Yes, I have done it a couple times, too.

Once while reclining on the sofa and talking on the telephone. Euw!!

Login to see image

Messy!! Certainly cut that conversation off quick.

The other time I wasn't lying down, but it was while I was driving alone and thought I would let the air out without looking.......It wasn't air, and the seatbelts will never be the same.

Login to see image

It has been awhile but now I (usually) think about those messes and try and wait. It will probably happen again when I am not paying attention.

Login to see image

Good luck !!

Pat
Grammybec
Aug 31, 2010 10:57 pm
I have the opposite problem...no air in the bag and then everything "cakes" at the top and eventually flows out the sides of the wafer.  Wish I could figure out how to get a little air in the bag, and maybe this wouldn't happen so often.  With all the leaks, I need to change appliance more often then Medicare thinks I should, resulting in me having to buy extra supplies myself!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Jojoslife
Aug 31, 2010 11:56 pm
wondering  why do you not have bags with filters so lets air out ?
Past Member
Sep 01, 2010 3:37 am
The bags with filters do not work a lot of the time. If the filter gets even slightly wet, it is plugged for good. The ones I use generally work for an hour or two, or don't work at all right out of the box.
beyondpar
Sep 01, 2010 1:45 pm
Jo,  with regard to the pouches........Not bags.....LOL..........the ones with the filters only work when you first put them on in an upright postion.  once the are covered with liquid( when lying down) or asleep.....they clog and then they become just like a regular non filtered pouch........at the very least that has been my experience...........when they first came out .I thought wow........now these things are really perfect..........well it turns out that they werent and am very content to have my two piece  non filtered pouch which fills with air and in turn makes expelling or emptying my pouch that much easier.....For every negative there is a positive.I now prefer my pouch to fill with air as it will empty in total in a nano second......LOL......stay well my new aussie ostomate...........Michael
beatrice
Sep 01, 2010 7:29 pm
I kinda though I wouldn't be the only one

Login to see image

Grammybec - is it an ileo that you have? If so, and you want some air/gas, maybe try 1/3 glass of pop. I used to love diet soda, but can't drink it at all now because it causes so much (and immediate gas). Not sure if this will help if you have a colostomy.

For me, filters on the pouch don't work for much more than a couple hours at most - as others have said. Once moist - kaput.
Pinky
Sep 01, 2010 10:03 pm
Yup - ditto for me on the filters.  We even asked the Hollister rep and he said "they're guaranteed waterproof on the outside, but they will stop working once they get moisture in them on the inside". DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I do find that even if they don't eliminate all the gas, they do "delete" the odor.

Using 2 mentho-lyptus cough drops in my pouch really helps the odor problem if I have to burp the pouch.  I've never tried burping in a lying down position.  Because I irrigate I don't usually have a night-time problem, but lately I've been scarfing down  raspberries and had a full pouch 2 nights in a row.  Bummer  

Login to see image

Since they are "mini-pouches" they don't hold much.

Despite what the reps and manufacturers say, I do use water to rinse my pouch when I empty it.    

Login to see image

beatrice
Sep 02, 2010 12:02 am
Hi Pinky ... never related my lack of odour to the filter ... but maybe they are worthwhile after all

Login to see image

. I know some people are very concerned about odour ... I have none happening.

And I rinse my pouch with water. While it's still on ... I empty the pouch, have a little squirt bottle ready and throw a few squirts down the end (being careful that the water does not get near the stoma/filter) and then rinse that way and wipe.

My bags are full (ileo) size.
junopete
Sep 02, 2010 12:42 am
Sorry to be a downer.

Why in the world would anyone with a brain, try and burp the bag while prone?

I ended up using the "Osto Vents".  The great thing about them is you can locate them right at very top of the bag.  When it is time to vent, very controllable, no surprises no accidents..

Convatec as an option, in their extra capacity bags, have a very large charcole filter.  They also come with a spare  filter disc for each bag.  Also the bags have an internal baffle that to some extent keep the liquid contents away from the filter.

I was always very active, doing a lot of dancing while wearing the bag.  

I found water, such as swimming was a big "do not do". If i was doing much sweating, I would have to change out the wafer often.

Whenever I drained the bag, I always rinsed it twice.  I always carried a small "perio" plastic bottle with a mild soapy solution in it.  It just made me feel cleaner after draining the bag.

Good luck to all.

Rick.....
junopete
Sep 02, 2010 12:43 am
Sorry to be a downer.

Why in the world would anyone with a brain, try and burp the bag while prone?

I ended up using the "Osto Vents".  The great thing about them is you can locate them right at very top of the bag.  When it is time to vent, very controllable, no surprises no accidents..

Convatec as an option, in their extra capacity bags, have a very large charcole filter.  They also come with a spare  filter disc for each bag.  Also the bags have an internal baffle that to some extent keep the liquid contents away from the filter.

I was always very active, doing a lot of dancing while wearing the bag.  

I found water, such as swimming was a big "do not do". If i was doing much sweating, I would have to change out the wafer often.

Whenever I drained the bag, I always rinsed it twice.  I always carried a small "perio" plastic bottle with a mild soapy solution in it.  It just made me feel cleaner after draining the bag.

Good luck to all.

Rick.....
bikerboy
Sep 02, 2010 2:55 am
ahh grammy it sounds like your not cutting a big enough hole in the wafer.if you cut it to the same shape as the ostomy it will flow fine.If you use paste make sure it doesnt cover the hole.
bikerboy
Sep 02, 2010 2:58 am
for me if I want more gas its mustard pretzels.I ate a handfull once and almost floated away
bikerboy
Sep 02, 2010 3:04 am
listen folks if your paralyzed I can see why you cant sit up to burp your pouch .Gas rises s--t doesnt.Othwise when you took a crap it would hit you in the head.PLEASE sit or stand to break wind.I like to stand in front of a fan when I want to burp ,makes everybody mad.lol lol

bikerboy greg
beatrice
Sep 02, 2010 6:52 pm
Hey Junopete! You're not a downer, but give us peeps with a brain (or half) the benefit of the doubt here.

Haven't you ever been so tired/sleepy/half asleep that your brain isn't quite functioning on at 100%?

Of course when we wake up enough, it's off to the washroom or stand up to gas off for most of us.

What we're talking about here happens when the part of our half brain that says "it's ok, stay in bed" is stronger than our half brain that knows better

Login to see image

gutenberg
Sep 06, 2010 1:11 am
Just gotta throw in my two cents here. Burping the bag in a horizontal position was like a lot of other stupid things I have done since getting my ileostomy, but those were things I have only done once as one can learn pretty fast there are things you just need to do once and a new lesson has been learned and man have I learned a lot over the years, Ed

Login to see image

Login to see image

Lobster
Sep 06, 2010 10:43 am

I dream of the day when my brain functions as much 50%!!
beatrice
Sep 06, 2010 5:17 pm
Hi Ed! Why is it that as the years go on ... I'm becoming more of a slow learner

Login to see image

?
gutenberg
Sep 06, 2010 6:21 pm
Hi Beatrice, its not that we're slow learners but it seems our children seem smarter but the fact is we didnt start out in school with the aid of calculators and computers and had to learn the hard way which made us a lot smarter than we think. (And I'm sticking to that theory). Ed

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image