Can anyone answer this question

Replies
Views
chess124
Feb 05, 2011 7:35 pm
I hope someone here might know the answer or have other suggestions..the question is

IS IT SAFE TO PUT A ROLLED UP PIECE OF GAUZE OR SIMILAR INSIDE THE STOMA ENTRANCE TO PREVENT OUTPUT WHILE CHANGING THE APPLIANCE ?

if this is ok...then how far should you put the gauze into the stoma( i am guessing around 2 cm but i do not know.

if anyone knows this then please feel free to give advice..thank you for any responses
Past Member
Feb 05, 2011 7:58 pm
I know it can be a pain when your changing and the stoma start's to act, but I wouldn't advice putting anything in your stoma.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

sherrybear
Feb 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Login to see image

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE PUTTING ANY THING IN YOUR STOMA, ME PERSONALITY WOULD NOT PUT ANYTHING IN MY STOMA. HAS FOR CHANGING IT WATCH WHEN YOU EAT AND TIME IT ,SO NO WASTE COMES OUT.MY NBAG WILL FILL UP SOMETIMES AFTER 2 HOURS WHEN I EAT. BUT I WEAR A TWO PIECE,AND CAN CHANGE THE BAG. HOPE EVERYTHING GOES OK FOR YOU. SHERRYBEAR.
Primeboy
Feb 05, 2011 9:52 pm
I wouldn't mess with the stoma although the stoma doesn't mind messing with me. (Sorry.) Sherry's right. Wait for your quiet times and then change. I am generally good about two hours after each meal. I change twice a week although I could easily last 4-5 days. The reason I do this more frequently is because I do not want to change when I have to, only when I want to. In emergencies, you may find that bending forward slightly will keep the stoma from dropping stool on your skin. Place a paper towel on the stool's landing site. You can then apply powder and your waifer safely without messing them up if you time their application in between bomb runs. There are no simple answers that cover every situation; but, with a little experience and a lot of patience, you'll come out of your change sessions high and dry. Good luck!
lottagelady
Feb 05, 2011 10:07 pm
Hi - I actually inserted a glycerine suppository into the loop end hole of my stoma to try and clear the impacted colon I have, on advice from a trainee GP (it took 4 days to get down to doing its job, and funnily enough I ended up in hospital in agony!) Anyway when I told my Stoma Nurse about this recently, she was horrified! To be honest, I wouldn't have thought a small piece of gauze could do much damage, if you are careful, but I doubt that it would go down too well with the docs and nurses. Why not give your stoma nurses a call on Monday and see what they suggest?

Rach xx

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
KennyT
Feb 05, 2011 10:52 pm
There is no way in the world I would put ANYTHING into a stoma at all without advice from a stoma nurse or surgeon. You really are playing with fire if you try this as it is only a small inconvenience compared to what may occur if it all goes awry.
WOUNDED DOE
Feb 05, 2011 11:24 pm
KennyT just said nearly word for word what I was going to say....so, ditto ( diddo? sp ) on the advice

Login to see image

LilacFaerie
Feb 06, 2011 12:37 am
Lottagelady!

OUCH!

I am so sorry that you had so much pain with that! Wow that sounds awful.

I hope that after all that it worked and cleared the impaction. You wouldn't want to go through all that agony for it not to have done the job.

Note to self - under no circumstances let anyone near tomi with a suppository!

shoot first ask questions later!

hope you are feeling better now honey
budd002
Feb 06, 2011 2:14 am
I also was told never to allow anyone to put any thing in your stoma. I was even told NOT to allow a doctor nurse or anyone to give you an enema through the stoma, or take a laxative due to the chance it could cause damage to your intestine. Stool softeners ok but no laxatives....
Past Member
Feb 06, 2011 4:33 am
There is a special plug made for this purpose, check with Coloplast.  It is similar to use as a Tampon that ladies have to use at times but has I think a flange on it which may defeat your intention. I have never used one  but have read some discussion about it.  It is intended for use by those who irrigate.  You would not want to block the output for long, The result doesn't bear thinking about.

Doug
PJT
Feb 06, 2011 2:07 pm
I agree with the others. Don't put anything into your stoma! Even if you did, I really don't think it would stop the output. My technique, and my suggestion' would be to change your appliance at a time when your stoma is least active. I think this is different for everybody but if you listen to your body you will find the time that's best for you. For me it's usually when I get home from work. By that time I haven't eaten for a few hours and my little friend tends to be quiet then. I also wrap a tissue around it (just in case) while I'm drying the skin and getting ready to put on a new appliance. If there is any output it goes into the tissue and not on me! I take off the tissue right before I place on the new appliance.
chess124
Feb 06, 2011 3:27 pm
thaAnks to everyone for the comments

it seems to be the opinion of everyone here so far that its best to be safe than sorry

i have decided to just put a plastic bottle type cap over the stoma while cleaning the surrounding area.this seems a lot safer and i find last thing at night is the best time for me

eating 5 marshmellows is a help as well.i think around 45 mins before changing works for me

i have never liked changing with a empty stomach as thats the time when all the liquid type acids pour out ( bile i think)

not good when you are trying to change..thanks again to the great people on this site

Login to see image

)
josiesmom
Feb 07, 2011 12:24 am
Hi. I usually have everything ready and waiting to go...new flange, bag if necessary (depending on if only the flange has leaked), powder, paste if you use it, etc. I also take a roll of toilet paper and unroll a few sheets and then fold them up. This helps especially when "Betsy" decides to be active even if I haven't eaten or had anything to drink. I usually try to change my appliance on shower days. I shower, dry off, then proceed to do my appliance change. This often works for me. I have never put anything in my stoma opening to stop the flow. That's what I have the toilet paper for. Oh yes, I also put disposable underpads on the floor and a towel on the bed just in case it decides to ooze which it has done in the past. Everyone has their own idea of what works well for them. Most times you can get the hang of it by trial and error. Good luck to you.
aussielyn
Feb 07, 2011 1:25 am
Hello, just thought I would add as well, I shower without my pouch on, I wear a one piece, I can usually figure out when my output is the slowest, then when I get out I have a couple of pieces of paper hand towel or Chux pop over the stoma, then dry off attach new pouch.

I had a argument with Dr's and nurses one day in hospital over them wanting to insert suppository into my stoma, I wouldn't allow it, they called the STN, who told them I was correct the only thing allowed into a stoma is a scope for Iloscopy.
Past Member
Feb 07, 2011 5:11 am
I was advised to not put anything into the stoma, no matter what.  I change my pouch after my shower after waiting a couple of hours.  I roll up kleenex 3 x and place it on top of the stoma; then later, apply the pouch.
Past Member
Feb 07, 2011 10:15 am
Hi All, I normally shower the day I'm changing the flange. I take the old one off then have the shower and make sure the site is good and clean. I often have sore red broken skin around the stome so the shower feels good. I have an ileostomy. Immediately after the shower I cover the stoma with a gaze pad. If the stoma is inactive I just keep the gauze on until I can apply some calamine lotion dry it and apply a new flange and bag. Some days every thing goes smoothly and other days not. On the bad days I go threw several pieces of gaze cleaning and catching any output. I always have hot water available to clean the area if need be. I find some days it is just easier to have another pair of hands to help out my husband and daughters are often a great help. But I have often wondered if they could make mini tampoons to put in the stoma on temporary basis, that could really help!...Cathy
zanzi1
Feb 07, 2011 4:37 pm
I would not put anything in my stoma, but I do have a suggestion. I've had an ileostomy for over thirty years with no problems. I just stand over the toilet when I change and it takes just five minutes to change, usual;ly with no mishaps. I hope this helps. Good luck!
tarababy
Feb 08, 2011 1:31 pm
Oh my goodness,please dont take offense but NO WAY!!!!....If I was ever advised by a doctor or stoma nurse to do that...firstly..I'd probably punch them out....second....HELL NO WAY!!!!...Just the thought of doing that is making me queezy now...Can just see it...me passed out in the shower....Hard enough to have to wash the thing..Sorry for being so upfront,just cant help myself...Anyway, here's a thought..after a shower .spread your legs so your feet are touching up against the shower walls..obviously side to side...lol..and bend over.any out-put..no matter if its a fire-hose or a dribble..it will drip right to the floor...or if your unlucky like me sometimes....spray the bottom half of the shower wall..(sshhh!!)..Keep towel close as you dry off....hanging on your back is easy...as you prepare the rest..keep patting dry the area for the wafer...and wait and watch...only takes a few breaths...but you should see the stoma moving..time it right and pop..on goes the wafer,with bag to follow...Of course that is if you have an ile with a 2-piece..oops..All I can say is.. it help me to learn that..Stoma nurse changed the bag every time IN BED with me on my back...Mmmm!!!..Always had to have a 2nd person there with the suction thingy..Try doing that on your own when you get home...fun and games and a shit load of washing..Now?No mess..when doing a change anyway...Hope that was of some help..Sorry didnt read too many replies..Prob been told so much already..Take care...

Login to see image

julieblue
Feb 09, 2011 11:15 pm
Hi Iam new to all this , but the gentleman whose asking if its ok to put anything in his stoma, well i wouldnt while changing it, but i have been wearing plug type things, that go into the stoma and last for about 8 hours so you dont have to wear a bag. They are great if your going somewhere and are affraid of ballooning or wind, it also holds back any output when changing to put a bag on, dont know if this information is of any help

Login to see image

chess124
Feb 10, 2011 2:32 pm
hi julie

could you please give some information about these plug type things or a web site or link etc

thank you very much

Login to see image

julieblue
Feb 10, 2011 10:49 pm
Hi Chess, they are made by colorplast, and they are called conseal plug, they come in to sizes 45mm and 35mm, the good news is they are on prescription, so i suggest you ask your stoma nurse or GP, theyve been a godsend to me, hope this helps, luv julie

Login to see image

chess124
Feb 11, 2011 6:58 pm
hi julieblue

i checked out the plugs as you described but found out that they are only for people with a colostomy....not a illeostomy.

anyway i thought the info might be useful to some people here so i have posted the info below

by the way coloplast have stopped making them now so maybe there was a reason for that

Managing your ColostomyPlugWhat is the Conseal plug?

The Conseal plug is an additional method that can be used to assist in the management of your colostomy. It is very easy to use and can give you great freedom and control; you do not have to wear a pouch all day if using the plug. More importantly, the conseal plug is very discreet and can be used at your own discretion, either as a part of your daily routine or selectively as your activities vary throughout the day. The plug is a soft foam 'bung' which is attached to a flange. The bung is inserted into the stoma, where it expands, thus preventing faeces from leaving the bowel.
bes0642
Feb 11, 2011 8:03 pm
I don't know how long you've had your Ileostomy. But I've noticed there are dormant times with the output. I have had mine 6 years and I always change early in the mornings. That's when mine seems slow on output. I've got my changes down to 5 minutes or less and I believe over time you will speed up as well. I would NOT recommend putting anything into the stoma.

Over time you will see the best time to change during your dormant times. Good luck best wishes.

Bob
livinnandlearnin
Feb 11, 2011 9:55 pm
No.  I wouldn't.  I've heard horror stories about people causing huge bleeds by simply putting a q-tip or other things in their stoma.  I usually change my bag and/or base when my stoma is the calmest and I cover the stoma itself with a stoma wipe or even a piece of tissue to absorb any leakage.  Most people tell me their stoma is calmest first thing in the morning but for me it's in the late afternoon.  Give that a try instead.  It's much safer.
Rebekah
Mar 05, 2011 9:29 pm
My ET Nurse told me that it is safe to use a small tampon, she said to use KY Jelly to lubricate it a little and to just insert the tampon a small amount. I have not yet tried this as my last 2 changes my stoma was being good. I hope you find something that works.
bes0642
Mar 05, 2011 11:09 pm
Rebekah, hate to sound like an echo. But I spent some time today researching on the internet. I didn't find anyone saying it's OK to put something into a stoma. Matter of fact most all discouraged it. Looks as if your at risk of perforating the intestines.

Login to see image

The way I look at it " it's risk benefit" more risk than benefit. Anyway that's my 2 cents. Good luck on what ever you decide to do. Best wishes.

Login to see image

Bob
Rebekah
Mar 06, 2011 2:22 pm
Thanks Bob, I think that I will do some more research on it. It was actually my visiting nurse that told me about it and I then asked my ET nurse and she said that yes it was ok. I have bought some and carry them with my supplies but like I said I haven't tried it yet. I remember when I ended up in the hospital in Nov with an obstruction the Surgeon put his finger into the stoma and it hurt REALLY bad......so I have been a little nervous about trying it. I really does get confusing for newbies as there is so much information out there and it is hard to know what is right or wrong.
bes0642
Mar 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Good, I think that is wise on your behalf.

Login to see image

I did read sometimes Doctors do insert their finger into the stoma on cases of blockages. But I think that's risky and should only be done by a trained professional like the Doctor. I know personally it will have to be pretty bad for me to allow someone to insert anything into my stoma. But that's me! Good luck. Bob

Login to see image

Past Member
Mar 06, 2011 5:20 pm
colostomates who irrigate insert the irrigating cone into their stoma. to no ill effect as well. and i speak from experience.
Past Member
Mar 07, 2011 4:23 pm
My Surgeon suggested putting a tampon in the stoma. It works wonders since my stool NEVER stops and is very watery. Check first with your surgeon but I have been doing this for six months straight every other day and I have no issues.