Life After Sigmoidoscopy: Colors, Consistency, and Coping

Replies
Views
thing1
Feb 12, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm feeling so much happier today as my not very pleasant sigmoidoscopy is over and done with, and my consultant said he would recommend me to the surgeon for a reversal as long as the remaining inflammation in my stub clears. This is good because this week has done my head in with output varying from green lava flow, black treacle, yellow and runny, and today the color and consistency of porridge (I haven't eaten any) - it's like a kid's science experiment! Still emptying my bag up to 12 times a day, but most of that is during the night. Thank you to the lady who recommended spearmint Tic Tacs. Genius ;o)

lottagelady
Feb 12, 2011 2:59 pm
I think that your current siituation is precisely why I don't want to go through a reversal - I am concerned that I no longer would be capable of 'holding it all in' ......

Login to see image

Hope all goes well for you ....

Rach xx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Feb 12, 2011 3:47 pm

I thought I was going to have issues with incontinence when I had my reversal, had organized pads and everything, but I haven't had an issue really. I never did Kegels because I only found out a week or two before surgery that I was supposed to be doing them, and by then I was just like, oh well. In the start, I didn't have a lot of warning that I would need to go before I went, but now I get a fair bit of time and it seems to be in a pattern where it mostly happens at night. I have found a few things that help with controlling it and I really don't worry about it at all. My only real issue has been with scar tissue; I've been getting blockages in the small intestine behind the joining, but that seems to slowly be improving.