Facing More Surgery and Feeling Anxious

Replies
Views
LilacFaerie
Mar 18, 2011 11:46 am
Hi

I got a temporary sigmoid colostomy done mid November 2010. It saved my life. However, what was temporary has just become permanent and within 2 weeks my doctor wants to operate again. She intends to turn Tomi from a loop colostomy to a end colostomy making him permanent, remove my sigmoid colon, rectum, anus and anal sphincter, then sew up my bottom giving me a "barbie butt". She is also going to remove a badly dislocated and probably fractured coccyx (tail bone) at the same time

I am perfectly happy on one level to have this operation. And yet at the same time I am nervous and okay - getting scared.

Can anyone tell me what recovery is like for this procedure? Will I be able to sit on the toilet once they let me go home? Will I be able to walk okay? Does the barbie butt operation have any impact on moving around during recovery???

I would love to hear from anyone who has been through this operation and who can talk to me about how long it takes roughly to recover.

I didn't realise how big this op was until my surgeon told me she will be operating for around 8 hours to do it all - aparently the spinal stuff adds complications, but she estimated 4-5 hours for the barbie butt operation! Scarey

I will be glad to be asleep for all that!

Still it's getting close and I am getting more and more nervous about it.

would appreciate any words of wisdom

Thanks
lottagelady
Mar 19, 2011 6:04 pm
Aww hun - after all you have been through it will be like a walk in the park!

Your surgeon is on your side and I am sure will not let you go through anymore pain - if it is hurting, just tell them and I am sure they will help you out with it.

She knows you are scared I should think - but talk to her again and tell her your worries about it and I am positive she will reassure you

Take good care  

Login to see image

Rach xxxx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Joolz822
Mar 26, 2011 1:50 pm
So that's what it's called - a Barbie Butt. *LMAO* I have one of those. It took me a week to feel almost human when I had my surgery in July 2009. Total recovery was at least a month. Then I was cleared to begin chemo and radiation treatments again. Everyone recovers at their own pace... I know, big help.
Little Jade
Mar 26, 2011 8:13 pm
Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery.  I can understand why you're worried about it.  I had a similar operation done in March 2008, an extensive bowel reconstruction, removal of rectum etc.   Let me assure you that the adjustment to having a 'barbie' bottom is not difficult, considering you are already a graduated Ostomate!!  

Two tips I would like to share and you may want to discuss with your doctor:

(1) Make sure your surgeon takes care to sew your bottom up by giving enough 'slack' for sitting and squatting.  Mine was sewn up too high and close to the surface of my buttocks without allowing for enough 'slack' to stretch properly.  For several months after surgery, it was quite painful for me to sit or squat down.  Since your surgeon is a female, perhaps she will understand how sewing works.

(2) Use Vitamin E ointment to help speed up healing of the sewn up area.  A nurse suggested it to me after hearing of my sufferings.  I use it everyday now even though I am all healed, because the scar tissues still hurt sometimes and I find the ointment helps to form a barrier from urine sting, as well as soften up for the stretching when sitting on the seat.

It's okay to feel nervous about the operation and do give yourself time to heal.  Walking and everyday activities may be restricted at first, but after a few months to recover, you will find life is good again!  All the best in your surgery, and let us know how things go.